KTM 250 XCW EXHAUST FLANGE BROKEN

I broke my exhaust flange last weekend with a hard pipe hit.  I guess it's pretty common.  I know there is a mod where you can send it off and have it rebuilt stronger and better.  I will maybe send my broken one off but for now I am going to just buy a replacement from RMATV for $140.  My question is whether or not coolant flows through the intermediate flange.  I never explored it when I had the cylinder off and don't remember if the ports with the four o-rings were for exhaust gasses or coolant.   I am going to just replace it without pulling the cylinder off the bike if I can, and even better if I don't have to drain the coolant. 

Those 4 o-rings are for coolant.  I'd also use appropriate sealant between the flange and cylinder.  Look at any power valve cleaning video.  Slavens has one.

Edited by yu130960

I was able to take the flange off on my 2012 without removing the cylinder, but it's a tight fit. If I had to do it again I'd just take it all off. Itll be 90% of the way there any way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yu130960 said:

Those 4 o-rings are for coolant.  I'd also use appropriate sealant between the flange and cylinder.  Look at any power valve cleaning video.  Slavens has one.

Thanks , Ithought so.  I’ve done several top ends on ktm 2 strokes, I just couldn’t remember what the function of the ports was. 

No one has said yet, but the exhaust flange and cylinder are a matched set. I'm guessing you didn't break it bad enough to damage its mating surface with the cylinder. Just knocked a chunk out of the orifice the pipe slips into?

I just replaced my broken exhaust flange last week. As I broke it with hard hit to the pipe.
Definitely remove the cylinder. And yes you will need to drain the coolant. You will also need silicone, but don’t use the high temp. As it will be a bugger to get off if you have to remove it in the future.
I also added KTM hard parts exhaust flange guard. I had to sand off the identifying numbers off of the new exhaust flange for the guard to fit correctly. It Turned out nice.
Wish I would have installed the guard from day one.
I also kept the damaged exhaust flange to send in for repair should I decide to.

To those that have broken the flange, I asked were you using a carbon fiber pipe guard ?

• Like 1

To those that have broken the flange, I asked were you using a carbon fiber pipe guard ?

No. I have three pipes. When I dent one I swap it out for another and when I have two dented pipes plus any of my buddies dented pipes I go and repair them by blowing them out. Pretty slick set up.

Two friends I ride with have had constant issues with their exhausts on their KTM's getting tweaked out of the exhaust flange where they won't line up great anymore. One is an '09 and the other is a '15. I know it's an inherent issue with the design of 2 stroke expansion chambers, but I wonder why it's such an ongoing issue on KTM's for so long. My '05 YZ-250, which has seen it's fair share of major falls and crashes on the trails has had the same carbon pipe guard for the last 4 years. I've only gone through one pipe in that time, and never had issues with the flange or serious bends in the pipe. I remember putting a brand new gnarly FMF on my buddy's 09' and his first drop of the bike, the exhaust bent sideways so much that it took a lot of work to bend it to fit back into the flange.

Is it the shape of the bends that make them weak in the flange area, or material/ thickness of the pipes?

I know this is a bit unrelated to the broken flanges, but same realm of issues.

I've rode 2 strokes for many years before I went 4 stroke ,most were Jap bikes I've seen 10s of bikes pull the pipe out the flange , I don't think it's an orange thing ,it's just how you crash imo

I think it's an issue with KTMs. I've had KXs, CRs, YZs and wrecked all of them. The pipes get dented or smashed but don't seem to kink like my KTM does. Dropped my XCW in a grass pasture, no dents in the pipe but it kinked off pretty good. Pushed it up and bend the radiator too.

IMG_20180714_194139021.jpg

IMG_20180714_194126216.jpg

• Like 1

I know ktmandhusky makes a billet replacement: https://www.ktmandhusky.com/product-page/billet-exhaust-manifold-for-17-19-250-300

Amazingly as much as I crash and hit rocks mine hasn't broke yet. The billet one may be a good option since its so close in price to the stock one.

I wish I would have know about the billet designed exhaust flange. I would have definitely bought it. It’s the same price as what I paid for a stock replacement, but then I paid another $45 for the exhaust flange guard!
Nice find.

Do anyone know about the one Tusk makes? Any good? Looks like it would be my only option with a ‘15 SXIMG_2726.thumb.JPG.61d3606184a5fcf9c57831936012f169.JPG

I don’t have experience with the Tusk version, but it was my preferred option since it comes in black.

My problem was that Tusk doesn’t make one for the 2017 and newer bikes. So I had to buy the orange KTM Hardparts version.

Personally I’m not a fan of the anodized orange look.

I’ve used a fair amount of Tusk parts in the past with good results.

• Like 1

The orange ano is sorta lame, for you aren't going to notice the guard. I have that and the billet manifold waiting, I will put that on this winter when I go thru the engine.