I just bought a 1998 Kawasaki kx80, and I'm gonna need some help getting it running, so any help that anyone could provide would be great. The bike had a little bit of fuel in it, but it mostly looked like oil, so i'm guessing that the gas evaporated. It was looking very blue inside there. I put in some mixed fuel but not a lot, i'm not actually sure if it was the right mix. I tried kick starting it and it has some compression, but it wouldn't start at all. I tried push starting it and kicking it into second, and it got a lot closer to starting, but still would not fire up. Then I realized that the clutch was not engaging. When I pull the lever, I can see the cable moving, so I think it is something inside the bike. Also, when I pull the lever, I know its supposed to have some tension as you pull it in farther, but the tension does not change at all, like its not doing anything. I know I probably need to get inside the clutch side of it, but what is wrong with it, and what do I need to do? I'm going to clean the carburetor because that is probably one of the main problems, and I will also try cleaning the air filter. I know that it also has a blown head gasket, which is pretty easy to fix, and I can do that by myself. I also checked the spark plug, and it was super oily, and I cleaned it quickly, and made sure it was getting spark. It was sparking, so I put it back, and tried push starting some more times, and it got a little closer, but it still isn't starting. The bike is also super oily/greasy all over, and I have no idea why, is there a specific reason for this, or just because it has been sitting? One other thing that is wrong with it is that the rear brake works, but is super stiff, and when I push it down, it doesn't want to come back up so I have to pull it back up. The return spring does look a little rusty, and everything around the rear brake system does look a little rusty. I'm going to take it apart and lubricate it and see if that helps at all. 

What I know I need to do: Clean carburetor, clean air filter, replace head gasket, drain all the fuel in the tank and put the correct mixture in, check the oil and all the fluids, 

What I need answers to: Why isn't the clutch engaging, and what do I need to do to fix it. Should I get a new spark plug just in case, and why is it so oily in there? What else do you guys think could be wrong with it, and what do I need to do to it?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. 

Edited by ExtremePolyAthlete

Besides the stuff you mentioned, new plug and transmission oil

maybe the plates are stuck together??

You can download the owner's manual from the Kawasaki.com site. You really need to get the service manual, too.

Start at the basics.  Fuel, spark, compression.  Too much fuel will flood it and also cause a no start, that's probably where you're at now.  May need to kick it over with the plug out and the carb dry to clear it out.

Clutch plates often stick together if it's been sitting a long time.  Take the clutch out and pop them apart with a screwdriver.

Ok thanks guys, thats what I was thinking too, I was going to take off the clutch cover and see if the plates were stuck together, but I don't know what that looks like, and I didn't know how to fix it. I was also definitely going to add transmission oil, because it probably hasn't got any in a while. Thanks guys, I will do that tomorrow and let you know what happens. 

You are on the right track

Fuel/air
-Drain the fuel tank. Rinse it out with straight gas, a couple times.
Replace all fuel lines
-Remove carburetor, take it apart. Replace all the jets, they are too small to clean properly. Just replace them. Adjust all settings screws and needle height and slide height to stock original. Reinstall
-clean out the air box and clean the filter

Spark
- check the condition of the coil wiring and spark plug cap. Repair or replace as necessary
- new spark plug correct for the engine.

Clutch
- drain and replace the transmission oil. Put in regular el-cheapo ATF, automatic transmission fluid.
- get the engine started and running steady. Let it warm up to where the case is warm to the touch. This will take 3-5 minutes at high idle. Then try the clutch. It will be sticky and stall immediately. Put in neutral, Restart engine try again. After a few tries the plates will release from each other and the clutch will work fine. Go for 3 test rides. Change the transmission oil again. Then you are done and ready to enjoy for awhile. Go ride.

Ok thanks man, that helped me so much. But I will have to wait for some of the things to come in because I am ordering them online. And when you say rinse the fuel tank with straight gas, do you mean to take it off and clean it out by using gas, or to leave it on and let the gas just go through and drain out. Thanks, I'll let you know if I have any more questions.

So I went to put the fluids in today after I made some premix, and before I even did, I tried kicking it over, and it was almost starting. So I adjusted the idle screw slightly, and kicked it over and it started, but it was bogging. So I adjusted the air and idle screw until it idled right, and then let it warm up like you said. Then I tried the clutch and I could already feel the tension, so I took it for a ride, and it flies. I did get some ATF, but I don't have the regular transmission fluid right now so I'm not going to do that yet. So I got the bike running again, but I still have plenty of work to do. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. 

• Like 1

If the bike had been sitting for awhile, you should still flush the fuel tank and replace hoses.  The vibrations and bouncing around of riding will dislodge sludge, sediment, and other knarlys that can end up clogging the carb jets and ports.  Same goes for the fuel line.  Old fuel line gets deposits along the inner linings as well as as the old rubber deteriorates and starts to shed very small rubber flakes.  You may be back here after a short ride, asking why it ran good and then it didn't.

Yes, what is meant is to take the tank right off the bike and thoroughly rinse, slosh, flush, so there is nothing in there to end up in the carb and ruin a riding day later.

Happy to hear you got it running.  May have been pure luck.  Do not take it for granted.  Go through the bike systems anyway. ;)

Edited by FaceDeAce

Ok I will definitley flush the tank and replace the hoses. Yea, it totally could have been luck getting it started, but I'm glad I was able to. Also, while I was riding around a little bit, it began leaking milky oil, and I know that when water mixes with oil it turns milky. So I'm not sure if the previous owner let some water into the gas tank, or if the radiator is leaking somehow, because the bike is water cooled. How can I fix this, and what should I do if the radiator is leaking? Or is it just the head gasket, because I am pretty sure with a blown head gasket coolant can get into the engine.

Edited by ExtremePolyAthlete