Advice on WR250F PLEASE!

I need some advice/opinions on a WR250F for sale near Louisville, KY. A guy posted on Craigslist that he's selling his 2008 WR250F that only has around 5 hours on it. He says it's because he bought 4 new bikes and enclosed trailer because he thought he and his family would get back into riding but never did.  The bike looked great in the pics, so I went and looked at it.  He wasn't lying. That thing was unbelievable. He had already sold the 125, but I did see the trailer and some of his other stuff and could tell he was anal about everything. He said the bike has a new battery and it did spark up as soon as I hit the button.

So here is my question. What is this bike worth? He started out asking $5200 and by the time I saw it, he had dropped it to $4900. I was concerned that hoses, seals, etc. may not have been in great shape due to its age, but I checked everything I could in the short time I was there and everything was good. All the hoses were nice and soft, no leaks, tires were nice and pliable with no cracks or cuts. To be honest, I really didn't have the money to buy it, but now that I've seen it, I'm trying to come up with the funds but will probably take me a week or two.

I bought a gently used (40 HR) 2007 for $2500 out here in California. That price seems high in my opinion.

I agree it's priced way too high.

To me, I'd not want to pay more than $2,500, and at "only" $2,500, it had better be practically perfect.

I'd pass, unless you just can't resist.

Way too high. Like indy rider said, as soon as you scratch it it's just another 2008 wr250f. Maybe 3k if it's really what tpu want and plan on keeping it long term. I've had an 07 for years and have loved it. Great bikes.

• Like 1

You can get a 2015 FI for around that price. Wish him luck and move on. No way he’ll come down to reality, even with solid reason.

Thanks for the replies.

I see that he lowered his price to $3750. Unfortunately,  I'm just having a hard time coming up with the money right now.

Edited by Michael Bluefield

I see that he lowered his price to $3750. Unfortunately,  I'm just having a hard time coming up with the money right now.

If you like it, wait him out. He’ll come down to reality eventually—once his wife tells him to just sell the darn thing.

Or I’ve always been a fan of sending a realistic offer via email after you have spoken and are too far apart on price. Something like “I have $2500 I can give you today for the bike. It’s in good condition, but based on similar sales and NADA values I’d be comfortable paying no more than $2500. If you would like that amount let me know and I’ll come pick it up today.” Sounds like a great bike, just not a great deal. Good luck!

6 hours ago, dmozer74 said:

If you like it, wait him out. He’ll come down to reality eventually—once his wife tells him to just sell the darn thing.

Or I’ve always been a fan of sending a realistic offer via email after you have spoken and are too far apart on price. Something like “I have $2500 I can give you today for the bike. It’s in good condition, but based on similar sales and NADA values I’d be comfortable paying no more than $2500. If you would like that amount let me know and I’ll come pick it up today.” Sounds like a great bike, just not a great deal. Good luck!

Good approach. Don't pay too much Mike, $2800 absolute tops.

Go to NADA website and look up the value on the bike. KBB stinks (there data is unreliable). It's still a 13 year old bike, regardless of condition. Take what you find on NADA and some copies of ads from Craigslist, eBay, etc. and show the seller if you try to negotiate a deal.

KBB is suggested asking retail. NADA is an average of all closed sales prices at the dealer. The truth seems to be somewhere in between those two numbers.

7 minutes ago, dmozer74 said:

KBB is suggested asking retail. NADA is an average of all closed sales prices at the dealer. The truth seems to be somewhere in between those two numbers.

This is why I don't use KBB and neither do any car dealerships in the country. An asking price has no relation to whatsoever to what it actually sells for.

• Like 1

Crap! I missed it.  It sold right after he dropped it to $3750.  I've spent the afternoon going through all the sites and haven't found anything that is as nice as that one.  I really need to get my funds together to be ready if I can find another one.

• Like 1