I’m looking at a 2013 yz250f and a 2006 rmz450

Both in great shape and I can’t decide which one would be the better bike. I want the power of the 450 but I don’t want to make a stupid decision with how much newer the 250f is. Any help?

I’m looking at a 2013 yz250f and a 2006 rmz450
Both in great shape and I can’t decide which one would be the better bike. I want the power of the 450 but I don’t want to make a stupid decision with how much newer the 250f is. Any help?

I've owned the 06 RMZ and a couple of the 5 valve 250F's. The 1st question is what kind of riding do you plan on doing? The RMZ is a 4 speed, 1st gear is taller than usual, almost like a 2nd gear on other bikes. As such the bike doesn't do well with tight woods. You can gear it down but that just lowers the top speed.

As for the YZ it is probably more versatile in regards to riding MX 1 weekend and trail riding the next without any changes. However by modern 250F standards it's a little slow. Even though the Yamahas are regarded as the most reliable 250F's it is still a 250F. My thought on the class is they are disposable. If you can't afford a brand new model then you can't afford to fix one should it happen to grenade.

A choice you haven't considered may be the best of both worlds, a YZ250. Light weight, fast and cheap to fix if breaks.
  • Like 1