KTM 144 strange question

I have a strange question for all of you KTM guys. We just got a 2008 144sx for my son. It is our first KTM. First off, this bike is awesome. It is so much fun to ride!! My son absolutely loves the bike. We have just about got all of the little fixes done that a 10 year old bike needs. The other day he was riding and told me he couldn’t shift the bike. The shifter was stripped out. The shift shaft looked a little worn so I decided to replace it also. When I pulled the clutch cover there was a random spring inside that I cannot identify. It is a stainless spring and it looks just like an exhaust spring. It was in the area where the power valve actuator goes up into the cylinder. I assumed it came from the power valve mechanism, but I have looked at parts diagrams until I am cross eyed and can not locate it. I also looked in the service manual. Am I missing something? Could the previous owner have dropped an exhaust spring in the cover? I know the cover has been off before. I could tell because there were pieces of two separate gaskets on the cover and the oil drain had been JB Welded into the cover. I guess he stripped the drain out. I have the shift shaft replaced and ready to put the cover back on. But I don’t want to go any further until I figure this spring out!! Any help is greatly appreciated. I am not too tech savvy, but I will try to figure out how to post a pic of the spring. Thanks again!!

Yup, there are no springs like that exhaust spring anywhere in the pv assembly. Just been a careless rebuild, 

Edited by 7Tktm

Mog, the more I think about, I think you are right. Both exhaust springs are present on the exhaust, but they are different from each other. I suspect that this spring was somehow dropped in the clutch cover by the previous owner and he replaced it. Hence the two different springs. It is a miracle the spring didn’t tear anything up being in there. I am planning on putting it back together, minus the “internal exhaust spring.” Unless someone else speaks up and tells me that the spring belongs and can tell me where it goes. Thanks for the response!! I appreciate it!!

Thanks 7Tktm. These are the responses I was hoping to hear. Thanks again!!

Well you've now got a spare exhaust flange spring lol. You lose one every so often when riding. Good bikes, we had one of the first ones when they came out in the UK.

Presume it had dropped down the hole where the 'ball' arm comes up when the cylinder was refitted. If so can't go any further so luckily shouldn't have caused any damage. 

Edited by 7Tktm

Lol. A man can never have too many extra parts!! That is exactly where the spring was. Inside the “square hole “ where the arm comes up to the cylinder. I guess if someone is going to leave a part in the clutch cover, that is definitely best case scenario. Lol. 7Tktm, this bike has been great so far. My son was moving up from a YZ85. He really likes 2 strokes, but says my KX125 is too slow. Lol. He was leaning towards a 4 stroke, but they are so heavy for him. He only weighs 105 lbs. I think this is the PERFECT bike for him. Lightweight. Fits him like a glove. Plenty of power to keep him happy. Everyone that has ridden the bike so far loves it and comments on how comfortable it is. 

Top man (and son). It wouldn't have caused any problem but obviously shouldn't have been there! The new KTM 4 strokes are fantastic bikes, way better than the earlier models. Expensive though. My son loves 2 strokes and has had quite a succession of (all KTM) 125s and 150s. Had a couple of years on 250 and 350Fs but never really liked them. Went back to 125s for 125 only motocross and loves it. Decided to do open 2 stroke as well so also got a 2019 250sx. Don't need to do much to the KTMs, just regular piston changes. Was it an aftermarket gear lever you had? They tend to have very soft splines - the levers can be guilty of loosening/falling off. One other issue is the figure of eight washers either side of the cylinder which hold the flap pivot bolts in place - the inside splines which fit over the 8mm hex head wear allowing the pivot to come loose and can actually fall out. Only pennies to renew if need be. Also, and this is vital, when fitting the air filter to the boot, make sure you don't leave a gap at the top nearest the seat. It is quite possible to do so on the earlier models and cost you mains and a crank rebuild. I know some owners who always removed their seat so they could make sure the filter was seated correctly. Bob

Sounds like y’all really like the KTMs!! This one is our first, but so far we really like it. I am really impressed with a lot of the small details KTM designed into the bike. Yes, it was an aftermarket shifter. And the previous owner did not have the correct washers on the bolt that holds the shifter on. When it first messed up, the bolt in the shifter was loose. I tightened it out at the track and he was able to finish riding for the day. Thanks for all of the info!! I will check the washers and the air filter. That is definitely good information to have!! Only bad thing about buying this bike is that I want a KTM now!! Thanks again!!

Lots of people fit aftermarket gear levers due to the cost of oem replacement, but it is false economy in my opinion. You need the Nordlok washers and Loctite 243 on the bolt to make it all secure. I use torque paint - it comes in a small tube in various colours - and apply it to calliper mounting bolts, engine braces etc etc so we can see at a glance if anything comes loose. Racing does this. However, we put a load on the gear change lever bolt as it helps keep it secure. Withstands power washing but breaks easily when you need to loosen anything off. Bob