Help me figure out how to talk to pros to learn

Hi I'm beginning to ride a 94 rmx250 / doing my own repairs due to lack of finances, and I'm getting interested in racing but I need information. I would just ask one of my dirt buddies, but they aren't professionals. If you're gonna do something do it right. So with that qoute it makes me feel that in order to ride right and excel at my skills correctly as well as quite a few other details. I need to talk to a real rider who has already been through a bit and understands coming up from nothing to something.

For now, just ride. Master control, speed comes later. The difference between a Pro and the typical rider is the difference of cash in your bank account and Bill Gates.

Or you can locate a riding school and get some training. No Pro is going top spend a day with you for free.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blake Zimmerman said:

William have you ever seized an engine at bdc

A seize is not an instantaneous thing. If it is at BDC, that is just where it stopped rotating. It could of just as easily stopped at TDC or mid stroke. Unless it say, ingeted a valve and that prevented the piston from moving up.

To be clear, you are looking for a pro with mechanical expertise and not riding?

4 minutes ago, William1 said:

A seize is not an instantaneous thing. If it is at BDC, that is just where it stopped rotating. It could of just as easily stopped at TDC or mid stroke. Unless it say, ingeted a valve and that prevented the piston from moving up.

To be clear, you are looking for a pro with mechanical expertise and not riding?

Yes but I'm looking for someone at least certified or works on their own things without problems.

40 minutes ago, Blake Zimmerman said:

Yes but I'm looking for someone at least certified or works on their own things without problems.

Hmmm, so you do not have a singular question, just looking for all around mentor? Best place for that is the local motorcycle dealerships. They may sponsor a race team or know of one. Then contact them and tell them you want to learn. Can you be the 'gor-fer' and work for them for free.

At about age 8, I'd go hang out at the local gas station. By ten, I found a few people that raced cars and bikes. I'd hang out. Sweep, try to anticipate what they wanted and have it at the ready. Pick up trash. 24/7/365 when not in school or sleeping. Made my parents mad, they did not want me doing this. By the time I was 18, I had such a good reputation, Yamaha factory recruited me. I was well know in the 1960's though the 1980s, ending my hardcore involvement by 1990 (got burnt out and wanted to make some real money).

• Like 1

I learned a lot from plenty of "pros" right here on TT over the years. You're not going to learn it all in a crash course from any expert rider or mechanic in a short time, even if you can find that person. Stick around, use the search function here for specific questions you have, post some threads if you can't find answers, and learn as you go. 

• Like 3

Go out with your riding buddies and push each other on the track. Talking to someone wont get you anywhere if you dont even have the basics down. And when you talk to a "pro" they wont take you seriously and brush you off, just a fair warning.

And judging from your previous post you have a lot of learning to do before even worrying about a pros advice.