Do solenoid & starter buttons go

I'm troubleshooting the starter on a new to me exc300.

If i take a thick wire from the battery positive to the starter it turns 🙂

If i bridge the thick wires on the solenoid it turns 🙂

If i press the starter button nothing happens 😞 no click either

If i feed 12v into the red/white wire on the solenoid whilst its connected to the solenoid, it clicks but motor does not turn = duff solenoid ?

When i press the starter button i do not get 12v down the red/white wire either, so duff starter button or cable fault also ?

Previous owner had bought bike with non working starter and never fixed for the 2 years in his ownership, so i guess more than 1 fault is possible but always suspicious.

Which bit here breaks alot ?

I’m not a KTM know-anything by any means, but if you jump the solenoid like you describe and it doesn’t engage the starter, the solenoid is bad. Sounds like your starter button is not sending power correctly either (obviously) which may or may not have helped the solenoid die off. “I” would start by replacing the solenoid. Then take apart your starter switch and see about cleaning the contacts. If you have 12V coming in to the button, but not out (when pressed), your button contacts are either dirty or the assembly is broken. This all assumes the system is wired normal (normal as in how almost every other one in the world is). Take my suggestions with a grain of salt, I’ve never done more than sat on a KTM. Much less worked on one. Sounds like you’re on the right track though. Also make sure your solenoid has a good ground, and all other contacts are clean and tight.

agreed - i'll trace the wiring some more tomorrow. Judging from repalcement buttons I've seen on the web, they must plug into the loom somewhere and that could be a failure point too.

Good job electrics on this bike are nice and easy.

Pull the starter button apart and check for corrosion. I had an ‘09 530-EXC & it wouldn’t start. Replaced lots of expensive stuff before I looked at the button which isn’t sealed and turned out to be corroded. Discovered it supplies power to the coil as well as the starter & while it would crank over it wouldn’t fire. Replaced it & bingo it started.