Get that dancing monkey off your back! Read more... ×

california 2008 YZ450f Water Pump impeller spinning counterclockwise

I have a 2008 yz450f that I was recently doing some maintenance on.  I drained the oil and gas, replaced it with new liquids, and started the bike.  It was running fine, but then I noticed the radiator became increasingly hot.  I didn't ride it at all, it was overheating just by letting it idle.  I figured the water pump wasn't circulating, so I took the case off and inspected the impeller.  When kicking the bike over, the impeller spins counterclockwise.  I've been searching everywhere to see what this means, but I can't find anything.  I have read that this year has had a lot of issues with overheating.  

Is it possible that the impeller spinning counterclockwise is causing it to circulate improperly?  Can this cause the bike to overheat so quickly?  If so, how can I fix it?

Thank you!  

Edited by Delaney78

You might have better luck posting this in the Make/Model Specific section.

12 minutes ago, StevetheSnake said:

Very simple don’t let the bike sit and idle it’s a motocross bike that must move air between the radiator. They do not have a overheating problem. Run 70% antifreeze so it doesn’t boil over and you get good corrosion protection. 

Run a capcitor on the right radiator for the ultimate 70% 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

is the bike imported from south of the equator?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Check your countershaft sprocket when you are riding. If it is also spinning counterclockwise then you definitely have a problem, the factory put your engine together backwards, go straight to the dealer for the recall repairs. This is very common, they will give you a loaner bike while they fix yours.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

I didn't even get 1/2way thru the original post and I scrolled up see what Riddler's new screen name is.

• Haha 1

So thanks for the replies... I'm a 17 year old girl trying to figure it out.  I know a lot about cars and trucks since I fixed my own.  I dont know a lot about dirt bikes.. just know how to maintain them, and kickass on them.  Just so you all know, the bike sat for two minutes to try and warm it up.  I didn't think it was normal for the radiators to get hot like that just by it idling in that short amount of time.  It has never done that before, so I was curious to see if maybe something was wrong with it. 

2 hours ago, Delaney78 said:

So thanks for the replies... I'm a 17 year old girl trying to figure it out.

I had a water pump fail and the symptom is a hot engine and the radiators are strangely cool for how hot the engine is. Think about it... water not flowing how does the heat get to the radiators? So you learned it's not the waterpump.

You can also learn about jetting, rich/lean. Depending on several factors you bike could be lean sitting there idling for 2 minutes. Being lean it will get hot fast sitting still. 

Also, riding you usually have gloves on that affect how hot you think the radiators "nomaly" are. 

Edited by DrKayak

4 hours ago, Delaney78 said:

So thanks for the replies... I'm a 17 year old girl trying to figure it out.  I know a lot about cars and trucks since I fixed my own.  I dont know a lot about dirt bikes.. just know how to maintain them, and kickass on them.  Just so you all know, the bike sat for two minutes to try and warm it up.  I didn't think it was normal for the radiators to get hot like that just by it idling in that short amount of time.  It has never done that before, so I was curious to see if maybe something was wrong with it. 

Sorry we tend to beat up people. But likely it getting hot quick is normal. Make sure you have at least 50% antifreeze.