05 LED Headlight

I have a completely stock 05 CRF250X. I am wanting to change over my lighting to LED. Of course my Headlight is a 35W 12VAC stock light. However I am not happy with it at lower motor RPMS and would like something brighter. I have been reading forums and using the magic of google. I am not finding a for sure answer to my questions.

I have found some options like the Baja Designs Squadrom Sport LED light (Looks like a very good option for about $150 for plug and play with a stock look). Maybe this is the best route anyways. Most of what I ride is forest service roads, 4 wheeler trails and single track.

I have also looked at doing some Pod style LED off road lights. Most I have been looking at pull about 10-36 Watts at 12VDC. However I know I will need to convert from 12VAC to 12VDC. This is where my lack of electrical knowledge comes in. Hopefully someone knows a lot more than me.  I have read some guys just using a 12VAC to 12VDC converter and having good luck. However I have read that you should use a 12V Bridge Rectifier and a capacitor to clean up the DC to the pod lights. My only concern with any of this is one guy said you need to convert your stator to have a floating ground on it. Is this true or can you just ground the AC side before you go into the converter or the rectifier?

Any help or direction would be great. 

We ride the same terrain.

I did the baja designs conversion you are referring too on my 16 X this year and put 120 hours on it since with multiple night rides, its more then enough and provides 4-5 times the lighting from stock, yes it's that good.

Its plug and play LED with an AC/DC rectifier and took 15min. to install.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/2008-ON-AC-Honda-CRF-X-Squadron-Sport-LED-Kit.asp

However, I highly recommend a helmet light for single tracks. I tried it with just the front light, it works, but not as well when you you go up and down hills or steep turns with gnarly terrain, a flood helmet light really bridges that gap and also kills all the shadows, a must in single tracks. I got the tusk one with 2 batteries, good for 8+ hours, rmatv sells them.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/839/70703/Tusk-Helmet-Light-Kit

We did the same setup on my buddies 230 and he also loves it, we don't need anymore lighting then this.

Forgot to mention, I was also worried the flickering would drive me nuts, so I bought a capacitor...decided to try the baja setup without the capacitor and never bothered to install the capacitor. The flickering is only present at idle, as soon as you give it 300-500 rpm, flickering gone, you don't see any flickering at all.

1 hour ago, Steph7 said:

We ride the same terrain.

I did the baja designs conversion you are referring too on my 16 X this year and put 120 hours on it since with multiple night rides, its more then enough and provides 4-5 times the lighting from stock, yes it's that good.

Its plug and play LED with an AC/DC rectifier and took 15min. to install.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/2008-ON-AC-Honda-CRF-X-Squadron-Sport-LED-Kit.asp

However, I highly recommend a helmet light for single tracks. I tried it with just the front light, it works, but not as well when you you go up and down hills or steep turns with gnarly terrain, a flood helmet light really bridges that gap and also kills all the shadows, a must in single tracks. I got the tusk one with 2 batteries, good for 8+ hours, rmatv sells them.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/839/70703/Tusk-Helmet-Light-Kit

We did the same setup on my buddies 230 and he also loves it, we don't need anymore lighting then this.

58 minutes ago, Steph7 said:

Forgot to mention, I was also worried the flickering would drive me nuts, so I bought a capacitor...decided to try the baja setup without the capacitor and never bothered to install the capacitor. The flickering is only present at idle, as soon as you give it 300-500 rpm, flickering gone, you don't see any flickering at all.

Steph7,

Great! That helps give me more direction. I appreciate the help.