New to KTM’s, just picked up a 16 450 XC-F

Newbie here, just saying hi. Last week I picked up my first KTM and I’m stoked to be part of the orange crew. It’s a near stock 450xc and the perfect bike for me. My old rides included a YZ 125 and YZ426f, this bike of course blows my old bikes out of the water. Not planning on doing too much to it right now just adding a spark arrestor (probably FMF 4.1 slip on) and getting the suspension dialed in. At 230lbs without gear we’ll see if I can get the stock suspension working or need to have it resprung/valved. I haven’t had a bike for quite some time so I am not really pushing the limits of the bike for the time being. I mostly ride in the SoCal desert like superstition or Gordon’s well, occasionally will ride in the Bishop/big bear area and I used to love MX so I might end up at a track like Elsinore or Coahuila. 

I get to ride with my pops who picked up a 16 300xc last year so he’s happy I got a bike too.

So what do I need to know about the bike? Any inexpensive/free mods I should be aware of?

5AF524C9-8E12-4EA9-BFED-3398FF0A2412.jpeg

C03473A1-FE24-448D-B924-DB7C03F01CA4.jpeg

79CD1510-40CD-4FA6-985B-30A0265C23B2.jpeg

1B7CB75A-0595-4812-A913-145A139169C8.jpeg

• Like 1

Welcome to the club! I'm actually a recently new member of the KTM owners club. I was wondering, what are you washing your bike with in the picture?

I just used dish wash soap in my foam cannon for the first wash, I’ll probably switch to an automotive soap most of the time as dish soaps tend to be harsh on plastics.

Foam Cannon? That sounds like something I should own! [emoji4]

I love mine but I’m pretty into auto detailing so that’s why I have it. Need a pressure washer or if you don’t have a pressure washer you can use a foam gun which hooks directly to a hose. Still throws suds but not as much as a cannon. It helps with stuck on or oily messes because the soap sits on the surface and starts breaking down the contaminants before you even start washing. For autos there’s more protection against scratches when washing too.
  • Like 1

I would suggest the ProCircuit T5 or T6 slip on. Better made, wider power.

The weak points of the bike are the fuel pump hoses (they kink inside the tank), the fuel pump (it CANNOT see any dirt, or it will fail. Filter your fuel into a gas can), Fuel pump relay (cheap), rear spokes and rear sprocket bolts will get loose no matter what you try, 4CS forks need pretty much to be 'cartridged' to work properly at speed.

I have been looking for a used '17 for months now (traction control, stiffer frame, AER forks, etc). Can't find one !

The weak points of the bike are the fuel pump hoses (they kink inside the tank), the fuel pump (it CANNOT see any dirt, or it will fail. Filter your fuel into a gas can), Fuel pump relay (cheap), rear spokes and rear sprocket bolts will get loose no matter what you try, 4CS forks need pretty much to be 'cartridged' to work properly at speed.
I have been looking for a used '17 for months now (traction control, stiffer frame, AER forks, etc). Can't find one !

That’s crazy the hoses kink inside the tank, thanks for the heads up. Guess I’ll be rally careful filling up and look for a filter. I just downloaded the owners manual so I’ll order replacement parts for the relay.

I had the same issue with the sprocket bolts on the 426 so I’ll just keep my routine of checking them before every trip and every day on multi day trips.

As far as the forks go, I feel like they are too soft and seem to stay too low in the stroke. I just rode it for about an hour on the previous owners settings so I haven’t played with them. Is this pretty standard for the forks or just how they are currently set up?

6 hours ago, SDRick said:

That’s crazy the hoses kink inside the tank, thanks for the heads up. YOU NEED TO REPLACE THEM WITH AFTERMARKET

Guess I’ll be rally careful filling up and look for a filter. MR. FUNNEL ON AMAZON. 

I just downloaded the owners manual so I’ll order replacement parts for the relay. KEEP A SPARE

I had the same issue with the sprocket bolts on the 426 so I’ll just keep my routine of checking them before every trip and every day on multi day trips. 

As far as the forks go, I feel like they are too soft and seem to stay too low in the stroke. I just rode it for about an hour on the previous owners settings so I haven’t played with them. Is this pretty standard for the forks or just how they are currently set up?

THE 4CS FORKS HAS RESTICTED OIL FLOW THROUGH THE TINY VALVES, SO SHIM CHANGES MAKE LITTLE DIFFERENCE. YOU HAVE TO UPGRADE THEM. BILLIONS OF POSTS ON THE SUBJECT

Your stock exhaust should have a spark arrester. Take a look inside and also read the text on the wheel side of the muffler.  My last two 4t KTMs have been spark arrested from the factory.

I haven't had any issues with the fuel pump lines, pump or relay.

Once your valve trail gets noisy on startup take a look at the dirt tricks cam chain tensioner.

I would check the valve clearances so you know they are in spec and have a reference point.

Nice looking bike, you will enjoy it!

Edited by mbrick

Your stock exhaust should have a spark arrester. Take a look inside and also read the text on the wheel side of the muffler.  My last two 4t KTMs have been spark arrested from the factory.

I haven't had any issues with the fuel pump lines, pump or relay.

Once your valve trail gets noisy on startup take a look at the dirt tricks cam chain tensioner.

I would check the valve clearances so you know they are in spec and have a reference point.

Nice looking bike, you will enjoy it!

Unfortunately it’s not arrested, it literally says SXF on it and I can’t see a screen and it does not say US Forestry approved so guess I’ll just have to upgrade.... darn it.

Pops and I went to our local desert today for a few hours, packed it up when it got over 90. We were happy just to get out of the house.

I am loving this bike!

IMG_4333.thumb.JPG.114879a670a1556abfb5a9ea932bed53.JPG

• Like 1

On 10/19/2018 at 10:20 PM, WILLY THE WORT said:

I would much rather the 4cs over the AER, my 17 250sx has them and we got them re valved for our weight yet they still suck. My 4cs has been "reworked" and re valved and it's the best set of forks i've ever had on a bike PERIOD. 

4cs from the box is pretty bad. it's hard to make it work, pour a little more money on top of them and they can be worked to fantastic forks. 

• 2 months later...