starting an xr 600 after a crashi

i went down the other day on my 91 xr 600 and I couldn't get the bike started for a while. I did like 5 kicks with the throttle open while holding the decomp lever and that still didn't work. anybody have any tips? im still kinda new to this bike. thanks.

• Like 1

i went down the other day on my 91 xr 600 and I couldn't get the bike started for a while. I did like 5 kicks with the throttle open while holding the decomp lever and that still didn't work. anybody have any tips? im still kinda new to this bike. thanks.
Turn the fuel off first then kick with decomp in about 10 times .
Or get a fcr and 2kicks and your going
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, webmonstro said:

Turn the fuel off first then kick with decomp in about 10 times .
Or get a fcr and 2kicks and your going

thanks, makes sense.  I heard that carb really opens it up.  maybe ill do that over the winter.

2 hours ago, elrontx said:

thanks, makes sense.  I heard that carb really opens it up.  maybe ill do that over the winter.

The FCR made my XR600R WAYY easier to start.  

The biggest benefit to the FCR carb is that it drastically improves throttle response, because it has an accelerator pump.  So you can be at idle, and whack the throttle open as fast as you can, and it gets right with it and lofts the front wheel.  With the stock carbs, the bike will fall on its face when you do that, because no accelerator pump.  

Hot starts are super easy with the FCR carb, because it has a hot start circuit.  

When all else fails, the best way to start an XR600R after a crash is as follows:

1. Turn the gas off
  2. Tip the bike on the side so the carb dumps fuel out of the overflow tube
  3. Stand the bike up
  4. Decompression lever in, throttle wide open, kick it like 12 times fast
  5. Do the TDC kick to start the bike like you normally would (throttle closed)
  6. Turn the gas back on right when the bike starts.

I even have to do that with my FCR sometimes, because I blocked the hot start circuit.  With an FCR, you have to open the throttle reallly slow before you do the WOT kicks 12 times.  That way the accelerator pump doesn't squirt a shit load of fuel into the intake.  When you open the throttle real slow on an FCR, most of the accelerator pump's pump shot gets pushed through the leak jet and back into the float bowl. 

The reason they don't like to start after a tipover or a stall out is because the mixture in the intake gets too rich when the engine shuts off like that.  Something about stalling the bike makes it harder to restart than if you would've just hit the kill switch.  Not sure exactly why.  Go try it on your bike.  Hit the kill switch, it will start right back up when you want it to. But let the bike stall and it won't start for shit.  My experience anyway. 

• Like 1