Gunk behind choke jet?

I have a 2000 DRZ400S that has sat with gas in it for the last 9 years.  (ya ya).  I've been going through the carburetor cleaning it up and replacing the jets.  Most everything looks good at this point except underneath the choke yet.  Down in there I can clearly see congealed gas crud still lingering but I'm unsure of how to go about cleaning it since it's not a part that can be disassembled.   I notice there's a small hole at the base of the shaft for the choke jet where any carb cleaner I spray in there leaks out.  

So my question is:  How do I clean that up?  DO I need to clean that up?  Since it's such a pain to get the carb in and out I don't want to put it all back together and find out I should have spent more time there.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Matt

EDIT: I managed to flush some carb cleaner through from the choke end of the carb out through the jet.  Some gunk came with it but it seems like straight carb cleaner now.  I can still see some green/black in there but can't reach it to do anything.

Edited by AIC_Rooster

I use a ultrasonic machine.It is a 3litre unit that I bought on eBay new ,for $100 aus dollars.simply strip carb,set water temp to 60 deg Celsius ,add a bit of dishwashing liquid and turn on vibrating action.The hot water,and high frequency vibrations  break /dissolve crud in carbs.I set timer for 60 min and go do something else.Recently put my brothers  carb jets in there and they came out like brand new.

That is a job for an ultrasonic tank a good one with the proper soap

You’ve done all the hard work disassembling find a shop with a good sonic Derek bargain with them to give it a 30 minute dip

They might do it on Goodwill they might charge you 20 bucks

Can be an automotive truck at Power Sports place no matter the type a better shop is going to have a good tank

Ultrasonics never even occurred to me.  My wife uses a small unit to clean her fountain pens... same gunk problem.  The closest power sports place is 2 hours but we have a couple of car repairs places in town.  I'll see if one of them would give it a dip.

Thanks for the advice!

Matt

• Like 1