RM 125 Wheel not fitting on DRZ400SM

So I'm trying to have a dirt and street setup for my '16 drz400sm.  I found a bunch of places that said an RM125 front wheel will fit on a drz with the correct spacer.  

This thread

Gives a walk through of the process and parts which I followed exactly.

I have a 98 RM wheel, axle, and right side spacer.  The SM brake rotor fits on the wheel no problem.  IWhen I line everything up it pushes the knuckle of the fork out so I can't line up the axle and get it through, like all the parts in-between are too wide.  Everything I can find says that the right side spacer is 9.5mm, which mine measures exactly.  

Pics show the spacing when I'm trying to get the axle in.  On the brake side the knuckle is about 30 degrees offset and can't be straightened, on the right side everything is lined up appropriately with the axle part-way in. 

Is there something else I'm missing, or did something else change on the newer drzs that make this not work?

The 17" SM wheel goes back on without any difficulties.  

drz1.JPG

drz2.JPG

Edited by zoink

So I think I had a huge brain fart.  

Am I supposed to take the speedo drive completely out?  I know I'm going to lose the speedo, but I thought that's just because the RM hub doesn't have the tabs for the drive.   I didn't even pay attention to the fact that the RM axle has a longer section where the OD is wider.  This I guess functions as the proper spacing in place of the speedo drive.  If that's the case I feel kinda dumb...

I have no clue if the wheel will fit but........

First remove the speedo drive. Then reassemble what's left, with the brake disc positioned in the caliper between the pads. Squeeze the brake lever to lock the wheel into position and finger tighten the axle nut. If the wheel is supposed to fit, it should now be centered between the fork legs. Now you have to determine what length spacers are needed on both sides of the wheel to keep it centered between the fork legs and disc pads when all is tight. The writer of the attachment in your 1st post seems to know what spacers and axle are needed in his post. I'd try them 1st.

20 hours ago, zoink said:

So I think I had a huge brain fart.  

Am I supposed to take the speedo drive completely out?  I know I'm going to lose the speedo, but I thought that's just because the RM hub doesn't have the tabs for the drive.   I didn't even pay attention to the fact that the RM axle has a longer section where the OD is wider.  This I guess functions as the proper spacing in place of the speedo drive.  If that's the case I feel kinda dumb...

Yes , you just answered your own questions.

1 hour ago, JoeRC51 said:

Yes , you just answered your own questions.

Yeah...felt pretty dumb after I realized the difference in the axles.  Thanks for the confirmation. 

2 minutes ago, whisky402 said:

What rim do you have on the rear?

One from a DRZ400S.