07' yz450f Oil leaking from the counter shaft seal

Hey Guys and Gals,

Went out for a ride today at my local OHV and noticed noise coming from the lefts side of my engine but went away.  Thought it was my new shift pedal I just installed.  Went into the trials area to mess around for a bit and got back on the main road and got it up to 4th gear.  Just as I shifted it into 4th it seemed to have slipped into neutral and the made a really bad noise.  I immediately pulled in the clutch and down shifted but the couldn't make the problem happen again.  Thought it was weird.  Hit another area and then a hill climb and got to the top.  Stopped the bike and turned it off.  Look on the left side and saw oil puked all over the place.  Couldn't really tell where it was from.  Took the bike back to the truck, loaded it up and took it home.  Washed all the oil off it from being puked on it.  Found my nut loose on my front drive sprocket and oil coming from the seal behind it.  Not sure how the nut got loose?  I torqued it down myself when I installed the new chain and sprockets last December.  I feel that I was pretty lucky that something worse didn't happen like the whole sprocket and chain coming off.  

My question to you guys is do you think there may be some damage inside or should I be able to just replace the counter shaft seal?  How bout the bearing?  

Guess I will be checking my drive sprocket nut more often!

Edited by Chris Kendrix

Yes you need to have the retaining washer on there so this doesn't happen again.  You might get lucky and tightening it may solve your problem.  it likely did some sort of damage to your seal though.  Luckily you can get a countershaft seal kit pretty cheap. Why people don't use the retaining washers, chain guards, and case savers confuses me.

I did but it was a older one and I didn’t have it folded very good cuz I was worried of it breaking

Just ordered an All Balls kit off rmatv

Good to hear that should be it
I check the teeth on the shaft and sprocket and they seemed to be fine

• Like 1

You did not cause any damage internally,and yes very lucky the chain did not take out the cases if the counter spun off