Just rebuilt my Water Pump and now its leaking out weep hole

I just finished rebuilding my water pump, didn't have any parts left over, thought I put everything back the way I took it off but it is now leaking out the weep hole. 

I changed the seals because my transmission fluid was a milky color. . . 

Any ideas on what I did wrong??? Does it take some time for the seals to actually seal? I put grease on the new impeller shaft, and the seals, and there certainly wasn't any play in the shaft when it was all put together.

11 minutes ago, unrooted said:

I just finished rebuilding my water pump, didn't have any parts left over, thought I put everything back the way I took it off but it is now leaking out the weep hole. 

I changed the seals because my transmission fluid was a milky color. . . 

Any ideas on what I did wrong??? Does it take some time for the seals to actually seal? I put grease on the new impeller shaft, and the seals, and there certainly wasn't any play in the shaft when it was all put together.

Did you replace the bearings, normally a seal fails when the bearing is going out or has wear in it.

2 minutes ago, ar2stroke said:

Did you replace the bearings, normally a seal fails when the bearing is going out or has wear in it.

Yes, there was only 1 bearing to replace, as well as 2 shaft seals (one between the bearing and the right side cover, the other just behind the impeller) and some type of odd looking steel/spring/seal thing that pressed into the impeller side of the right side cover. . . it's hard to explain and I can't find any rebuild pics for the CRF450X model, only the very different CRF450r model.. . .

7 minutes ago, unrooted said:

Yes, there was only 1 bearing to replace, as well as 2 shaft seals (one between the bearing and the right side cover, the other just behind the impeller) and some type of odd looking steel/spring/seal thing that pressed into the impeller side of the right side cover. . . it's hard to explain and I can't find any rebuild pics for the CRF450X model, only the very different CRF450r model.. . .

Can you post an image of it (if you got it apart) by chance. What is the year of your bike?

14 minutes ago, ar2stroke said:

If it has like deflection in it or like a  'wear spot' that would be the next best course.

the shaft is brand new. . . after having a great nights rest (after getting jalapeno juice all over my face, but that's another story) I realize that I put a seal on backwards just behind the impeller, it's 34 F out now so I'll tear into when the sun comes up. . . 

4 minutes ago, unrooted said:

the shaft is brand new. . . after having a great nights rest (after getting jalapeno juice all over my face, but that's another story) I realize that I put a seal on backwards just behind the impeller, it's 34 F out now so I'll tear into when the sun comes up. . . 

I bet that will fix it, was going to see if there was a manual online to see the direction of the seals ect...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1hp said:

the FSM says " a small amount of weeping is normal". did you use OEM parts?

Capture.JPG

The only thing that I can think that I did wrong is put the "washer" behind the impeller backwards, hopefully that's the issue because I don't want to have to take the right side cover off again. . . not sure what a "small amount" is considered, but there was a several foot long spill under my bike when I saw how much had leaked out.

5 hours ago, 1hp said:

sounds like more than a small amount. don't think mine weeps even in really hot weather.

I don't know what is wrong with it, but I flipped the seal that I though was backwards and it was still pouring out the weep hole. I tried pulling out the mechanical seal and tore the damn thing, now I can't get the entire thing back out. I just pressed it in yesterday. . . maybe some type of solvent will get the blue locktite material off and I can somehow get it out. 

I wish I had a dealer that actually had this type of stuff in stock locally. . . 

Okay after a bit of research I found that to remove the mechanical seal it's easiest to heat the thing up, which melted the loctite or whatever the blue sealant is and it popped right out. . . Now I get to wait a week for a new pump rebuild kit to show up. . . 

Edited by unrooted
update

That weird spring thing is a ceramic mechanical seal if you use a hammer on the inner part of it, it will break, what did you use to install it?

Edited by 1fastbadA

5 hours ago, 1fastbadA said:

That weird spring thing is a ceramic mechanical seal if you use a hammer on the inner part of it, it will break, what did you use to install it?

I pressed it in place with a bolt and a large socket that only pressed the metal part into the right side case. 

After I f***ed up the mechanical seal i took it back out and didn't see any ceramic parts to it. . . just he metal part that presses into the frame, the spring and a rubber boot/seal over the spring. There is a seal that may be ceramic that has a rubber seal around it, but I believe it goes into the back of the impeller, am I wrong on where that is supposed to go??? 

I just took another look at the diagram posted above, and I don't even see the ceramic seal I'm talking about, is it supposed to be placed inside the mechanical seal??? 

Edited by unrooted
update