Hatfield McCoy trails [with video]

Went riding with some friends this past weekend with friends. It was an awesome place. Stayed in Matewan. Loved the atmosphere of dirtbikes, atv's and side by sides everywhere. And the restaurant we hung out at in Matewan. Great food. We rode 199, 140, 197, I can't remember them since this was my first time. My question.... for when I go back, hopefully real soon, which are the harder more technical trails.? Do I understand it right that there are three sections, rockhouse, what's the others?

Edited by 1gr8bldr

55 minutes ago, 1gr8bldr said:

Do I understand it right that there are three sections, rockhouse, what's the others?

I think there are eight sections. Devil Anse starts in Matewan, Buffalo Mountain connects and heads to Williamson. Rockhouse connects and goes to Gilbert and Man. There is BuffaloWallow over in Logan, Pinnacle Creek, Indian Ridge and Pocahontas. They just opened another section called Warior.

Get information at the HM website: https://trailsheaven.com/
They have maps and descriptions, including how much single-track each section has, how many miles of each color (green, blue, black, orange, double-black-diamond-death, etc.

Just got back from H&M trails last Sunday - Tuesday.  It rained everyday, but had an awesome time.  We did Pinnacle Creek, Indian Ridge and Pocahontas.  There were 9 of us, I was the only one with a bike, the rest were ATV's

We stayed on the easier trails, but because of all the rain, they were treacherous!

We hope to go back soon.

-Shannon

Yea, I'm really anxious to go back. So much up there to see. I can't say enough for the atmosphere. It's really cool to see more off road vehicles on the road than cars. Public places, parking lots of businesses, full of ATV's. It's cool to think that your welcomed to be here. Without the commerce that the riding brings to these towns, they might dry up. The place we stayed was not what you think of when it's named "resort", lol, a surprise to us being our first time, however it was clean and all we needed. When we go back, we hope to find a place close to the trail head, an outdoor hangout area with a fire pit, and an indoor area to socialize. A nice restaurant within walking distance would also be on the top of the list. We highly enjoyed being able to hang out and eat at the restaurant in Matewan. Food was over the top, as good as it gets with the laid back atmosphere being the best part. It seems as though the older I/we get, the less we make time to cultivate friendships.  Or we just don't take the time to do something that we enjoy, that builds memory's. I hope to do better with this in the future. I wish I were closer, over 5 hours from where we stayed, but not so far that I can't justify going several times a year. If anybody ever gets a group together  to go ride the technical stuff and needs another bike puller, hit me up. I may or may not be able but would highly appreciate the invite 

• Like 2

Rockhouse Lodge in Man has what you want. There are like 3 restaurants in town! Way more than Matewan has. Well, "close to trailhead"' can be argued, but any place I can ride my KTM from to the trailhead is close enough for me.

Here is a little footage of our ride. He's just turned 18 so pardon the language. And to the owners of the house that my son calls a dump, so sorry, he did not actually mean that. He or should I say we, have never been to the Hatfield McCoy trails and did not know what to expect. LOL, the name  "resort" kind of surprised us. I suppose our definition of resort was not a WV resort.  But it was a good place to stay, clean, all we needed.  My son had just got his bike back from the suspension shop, a new to him, used bike that he had not ridden more than 30 minutes. He hates the front air forks and eventually figured out that the rear suspension was fine but had way to much air in the tire. Once he had 30 minutes of seat time to get used to the clutch,brakes, power, gearing, etc, he was unstoppable. LOL, he was scarring the crap out of me riding 40+ mph wheelies down the mountain. He had almost 6 hours of footage that day. Saturday started off good but unknowingly, his mic became unplugged for most of that days riding. It had the most technical trails in it. If this video gets many  views, then he can always use more of the footage to post another video of the trip. I had bike issues but kept riding. Eventually lost all back brakes and had no Estart or kickstart. So bumpstarting was my only way. LOL, a few times I cut off at the bottom of a valley and had to push up the hill in order to roll back down to bump start. 

Edited by 1gr8bldr

Went riding with some friends this past weekend with friends. It was an awesome place. Stayed in Matewan. Loved the atmosphere of dirtbikes, atv's and side by sides everywhere. And the restaurant we hung out at in Matewan. Great food. We rode 199, 140, 197, I can't remember them since this was my first time. My question.... for when I go back, hopefully real soon, which are the harder more technical trails.? Do I understand it right that there are three sections, rockhouse, what's the others?

I hope you guys ate at Wingo’s, the bbq place in Matewan. The food is great!

Regarding the Warrior trail system, I was there over the weekend with some friends. It is brand new and very immature. The restaurants and accommodations are so-so. Hopefully as more people begin riding there, the local services will improve.

Trail ratings are subjective. There are a few ‘black’ trails which are very easy compared to black trails at other locations like Buffalo Mountain. Warrior has only one single track that is wide enough for a SxS in most places from what I saw in a YouTube video. We didn’t bother to ride it.

Yea, I'm really anxious to go back. So much up there to see. I can't say enough for the atmosphere. It's really cool to see more off road vehicles on the road than cars. Public places, parking lots of businesses, full of ATV's. It's cool to think that your welcomed to be here. Without the commerce that the riding brings to these towns, they might dry up. The place we stayed was not what you think of when it's named "resort", lol, a surprise to us being our first time, however it was clean and all we needed. When we go back, we hope to find a place close to the trail head, an outdoor hangout area with a fire pit, and an indoor area to socialize. A nice restaurant within walking distance would also be on the top of the list. We highly enjoyed being able to hang out and eat at the restaurant in Matewan. Food was over the top, as good as it gets with the laid back atmosphere being the best part. It seems as though the older I/we get, the less we make time to cultivate friendships.  Or we just don't take the time to do something that we enjoy, that builds memory's. I hope to do better with this in the future. I wish I were closer, over 5 hours from where we stayed, but not so far that I can't justify going several times a year. If anybody ever gets a group together  to go ride the technical stuff and needs another bike puller, hit me up. I may or may not be able but would highly appreciate the invite 

Buffalo Mountain Lodging has cabin rentals about 1/2 mile from the trailhead. This trailhead is very close to all of the good singletrack at Buffalo Mountain. My group has stayed there a few times.

The website www.buffalomountainlodging.com says the cabins sleep six. But beware, unless you want to spoon with your buddy, the cabins really sleep three.

In my opinion, Buffalo Mountain / Devil Anse has the best trails for bikes if you want some challenging singletrack.

4 minutes ago, brianbinwv said:

I hope you guys ate at Wingo’s, the bbq place in Matewan. The food is great!

Regarding the Warrior trail system, I was there over the weekend with some friends. It is brand new and very immature. The restaurants and accommodations are so-so. Hopefully as more people begin riding there, the local services will improve.

Trail ratings are subjective. There are a few ‘black’ trails which are very easy compared to black trails at other locations like Buffalo Mountain. Warrior has only one single track that is wide enough for a SxS in most places from what I saw in a YouTube video. We didn’t bother to ride it.

Yea, Wingo's, that the name of the place. I had to  google a map of Matewan to find out the name of the restaurant that I liked so much. It was Wingos.  We kicked back there and enjoyed the warmth, conversation and food.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 1gr8bldr said:

Yea, Wingo's, that the name of the place

We eat at Wingo's a lot in Matewan, but its not open every day. Off season, its only open weekends. Not sure what the hours are during the summer. You can stay there, they have about 5 rooms upstairs. Nothing fancy, but more than good enough for a bunch of riders.

14 hours ago, brianbinwv said:

Trail ratings are subjective. 

I have found this to be true at all of the H-M sections. Sometimes even within a section, there are blue trails that are trivial, and other blue trails that are so challenging that I can't ride them.  Buffalo Mountain's blue trails seem to be substantially more challenging than blue trails at BearWallow. Pocahontas has a lot of green trails that are not trivial, and many of them have puddles that are way deeper than axle deep. So they can be a real problem if you are not careful.

On 11/5/2018 at 5:53 PM, olddude13 said:

I’m told buffalo mountain is great for bikes.

Buffalo and Rockhouse have the most single track and some is very difficult to say the least. The last time I rode rockhouse we encountered a lot of downed trees and it made for a very long day we finally gave up,they weren't on the main trails just the ST .

Next time you go check out Outback ATV.

They have free pre cut fire wood, free propane and grills, A porch with table and chairs, and a nice small little cabin for 4 people to stay comfortably.

You're in Matewan and only about 5 minute ride to Downtown Matewan. You're also right next to a Dollar General.