I have 05yz125 and do mostly trail ride.  I’m 5’8” and don’t ride often enough.   I was considering lowering the stance of my bike to see if it make it easier to handle in tight trails.    Any thought on linkage changes and how to adjust the front forks accordingly?   

Whatever link you lower, same to forks. You can do forks internal, if you can’t slide them up in the tubes enough. 

Just remeber, whatever you change, will change handling (better/worse). 

Doc help me understand the handle impact.   If I lower both the back and front an inch,  is the impact to the handle related to wheel base change and or suspension travel with the forks?   Should it be real noticeable?

I lowered my 08 Husqvarna when I bought it new because I’m a inseam challenged individual. Those dame bikes came in at 38.5” seat height. I’m just a weekend rider (when I can, more when I was younger) so it really made no adverse effect to my riding capabilities. 

Kuba 3/4” link and pushed the tubes up to match. Making it equal is key. 

A-B riders would notice, C+ B- riders (I consider myself) not so much. 

We have lowered a few bikes. Have always gone with adding spacers to the piston rods in the forks & shock. Because the work was done by a suspension tuner it included springing & valving to match weight & riding style of the rider.

We had the same bike as a local racer (he was a pretty fast 12 year old). One day at his backyard track we offered our bike to him to ride a few laps. When he came in we asked what he thought of our bike. He just shrugged and said "It's just like mine; why should it be any different?" We hadn't told him it had been lowered 3 inches!

• Like 1

First try trimming the seat's foam.

I would not advise on any link that lowers the rear more than 1/2"  (about the same distance you can slide the fork tubes up in the clamp)

In the past I've experimented with a Yamalink 1.5", yes it lowers the bike but there are many unwanted side effects,

first it changes the leverage of the linkage, making the suspension softer and, allows the tire to contact the fender rather than bottoming the shock.

It also change the chassis geometry, screwing up what in stock form is a decent handling bike.

No matter how much preload or, various rate springs I tried, nothing compensated for the increased leverage.

If you really want to lower your suspension, do it the proper way (internally) 

but IMO at 5'8" you just need more experience to feel comfortable on the bike.

(myself the same height and was in the same situation as you when first got it)

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1