Does my rear suspension look too soft?

Hi all,

i just picked up a 2005 KTM 450 exc, it’s my first KTM and I’m coming off a Wr250r. I love the bike, and I’m really having fun dialing it in, but one of the first things I noticed was that the rear suspension seemed a bit soft. I recall reading that the WR had really a really stiff rear so maybe that is throwing me off, but it seems to sink a bit more than I’m used to. Nothing to compare it with near me so I was going to put it up here to get feedback. For reference I’m 6’ and 200lbs. Haven’t had time to figure out how to set the sag yet, just trying to figure out if I have to buy a new spring etc. I hope it’s just my ignorance of the feel. Two photos below are me with weight going slow/stopped and one with weight pinning the throttle. 

Thanks in advance for any constructive. feedback

9B893266-89E0-456C-AB80-3391A116457A.png

B71E46A4-F6A8-457F-BACD-E01446F4C32E.png

3FC96780-A269-42E9-8380-06FD5E857DB5.png

Edited by Dirtandsurf

Your SAG adjustment result will tell you if you need a spring, SAG first

Edited by gitenby
  • Like 1

Setting the sag is exactly like any other bike. More or less preload on the spring. The resulting measurements tell you if a different spring is needed. And the only thing that really matters is what "feel" makes you comfortable and gives you confidence in the typical riding YOU do.

21 hours ago, Piney Woods said:

And the only thing that really matters is what "feel" makes you comfortable and gives you confidence in the typical riding YOU do.

This.  Unless you are racing sag is something that to me is personal preference (within reason), as are spring rates.  My suspension is set very soft, and works well for me.  The rear spring is one level too soft as are the fronts, but with damping set up after experimenting it does exactly what I want it to do.  Before you spend the dollars for springs play with the adjustments a bit.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper