2 smoker/ Fake News?

Sounds like some mumbo jumbo to me. 

I'd believe it if Honda had something about it on their website. Or if a reputable publication like Dirt Bike magazine or Dirt Rider had a scoop on it, but I could find no such article. 

I wouldn't buy one even if they came back out with it. That kinda power, coming from a 2 stroke, on the dirt is a bit scary to me. I'd probably never even make it out of 2nd gear lol

Having had 3 cr500s.  Two 87s and late 98. Could not stand the late one went back to 87 much faster better trail bike. If you see a trail with a no run ditch say 6ft deep steep down up no run out at bottom. A wall down a wall up put it in frist gear get stuck Everytime. The 230 will crawl out. On the cr500 put it in third gear hand on clutch. Just above idle it will crawl out. Zero traction bike any gear any speed. Sort shift get it in 4 or 5 gear then hold on. Fatest bike ever sametime fastest bike to make rider silly putty. Fake news indeed.

• Like 1

I'm not buying the 500 class 2 strokes as being the fastest bikes ever....

I have raced many... Including 2 CR500's that I used to own and fully modded... Carb/ Head milling/ porting / piped... Everything modified... So much so that I hated trying to control them... And sold them to friends....

Up against a fully modded and correctly ported CRF450X (heavy) bike of mine....

CR500's lose every time...  Not a slaughter, mind you, but always a loss....  Shift too late or too early... No matter... The crf holds solid overrev on top... And massive torque from low low low RPM.... 4stroke always walking away... Not running away... But always walking...

2strokes are way harder to ride fast...

Edited by mixxer

I like how they say the new frame is 14kg lighter than the old one. So what’s it made of? Air?

• Like 1

I sold mine after the built 07’ Yamaha 450 stuck it to the old CR500 on the monster hills. Don’t let the video fool it they have a way of not showing how steep it is. Especially at the top with turns and rocks. 

Still don’t miss it. The new BB 4T’s have it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mixxer said:

I'm not buying the 500 class 2 strokes as being the fastest bikes ever....

I have raced many... Including 2 CR500's that I used to own and fully modded... Carb/ Head milling/ porting / piped... Everything modified... So much so that I hated trying to control them... And sold them to friends....

Up against a fully modded and correctly ported CRF450X (heavy) bike of mine....

CR00's lose every time...  Not a slaughter, mind you, but always a loss....  Shift too late or too early... No matter... The crf holds solid overrev on top... And massive torque from low low low RPM.... 4stroke always walking away... Not running away... But always walking...

2strokes are way harder to ride fast..

You never where up against a tt680 with two smoth bores 29mm each. Not even a chance on the built x or r  haaaaaa

8 hours ago, bajatrailrider said:

You never where up against a tt680 with two smoth bores 29mm each. Not even a chance on the built x or r  haaaaaa

The 660 Raptor based drag machines I had built were held back on top end with twin 35mm FCR's feeding them...

Nice boost when they were fed with twin 39mm FCR's

Twin 28mm carbs would have choked them to death...

The 450's with mild big bore strokers in them are vicious... 

The Honda's are easy to get to 511cc's.... 

While still on gas and tuned for a wide powerband you could get 65hp / 42 torque with one of them.... Still over 60hp when the rev limiter pulled the plug at 11k....

A stock 450 leaves a LOT on the table ... Even though they are brutal.... Modding them is beyond awesome to behold the power curves...

Take them up in displacement with big bore/ stroker combos...

And watching what they do with their light weight and awesome suspension on sand hill drag races... I would put them up against anything... without hesitation....

Sand and hills both take tons of power to be fast on... That's why sand and hills together are the best way to settle off road power wars....

A properly setup 450 based engine is a thing of beauty...

• Like 1

The 660 Raptor based drag machines I had built were held back on top end with twin 35mm FCR's feeding them...
Nice boost when they were fed with twin 39mm FCR's
Twin 28mm carbs would have choked them to death...
The 450's with mild big bore strokers in them are vicious... 
The Honda's are easy to get to 511cc's.... 
While still on gas and tuned for a wide powerband you could get 65hp / 42 torque with one of them.... Still over 60hp when the rev limiter pulled the plug at 11k....
A stock 450 leaves a LOT on the table ... Even though they are brutal.... Modding them is beyond awesome to behold the power curves...
Take them up in displacement with big bore/ stroker combos...
And watching what they do with their light weight and awesome suspension on sand hill drag races... I would put them up against anything... without hesitation....
Sand and hills both take tons of power to be fast on... That's why sand and hills together are the best way to settle off road power wars....
A properly setup 450 based engine is a thing of beauty...

Ahh I did not realize that you were working on Raptors back in the day also...
Do you remember what the average torque and HP #’s that you were getting from them, and what fuel were you running? Methanol ?

We used the 29mm because ours where trail bikes. The Honda crf450  was such a unreliable bike stock even wrost biult . When there raced it pretty much biult to when that race. After that new one broken valves cranks trans you name it it broke it. I wish you still had one to race as Mike has his 680 I'n mint condition. Roll on drag aginst my weak only 50hp wr in sand wash. He cleaned my clock I was pretty pissed off a 1987 bike still runs like that. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, adnohguy said:

Ahh I did not realize that you were working on Raptors back in the day also...
Do you remember what the average torque and HP #’s that you were getting from them, and what fuel were you running? Methanol ?

I have only run methanol on a handful of machines, the most fun being a well setup trx400ex...

Nobody's afraid to line up against a 400ex lol...

The best running raptors are the 700 based ones... I even made pistons in 105mm for them back when I was doing pistons....

The 660s I had done were in the 70hp/ 50 tq range...  and o-ringed cylinders to keep head gaskets working as gaskets.... Stupid stud arrangement...

The best of the 700 based ones were 90Hp / 67tq range... More torque than most machines could ever have for horsepower...

None of them on methanol...