Brake Pad Dimensions

I just installed an 260mm oversized rotor and new carbon Pads on the front of my dirt bike1747414942_650RRotor.jpg.265f931dd85c0b297d1de4e6975cbd71.jpg. After several hundred miles the pattern on the very outside of the rotor shows about 2mm with no contact. The inner diameter pattern appears to have a mm or two to fill out the drilled area. Question is are all pads pretty much the same size?  If not does anyone know the larger of the pad manufacturers?

I read somewhere Brakin company has pads specific to their rotors, which this one is.

That's not what that means.  Different friction materials work differently on different types of rotors.

I,m not talking materials or stopping power, Its contact patch. 

Measuring the old stock pads and the Tusk carbon pads (on it now) the stock pads are .010" larger in radii distance plane. So there is a difference  between manufacturer's however small.  at this point. 

• Like 1

You'd probably measure the same variance between pads of the same manufacturer. I wouldn't buy generic Tusk anything , anyway.

Edited by JoeRC51
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeRC51 said:

You'd probably measure the same variance between pads of the same manufacturer. I wouldn't buy generic Tusk anything , anyway.

Don't know about generic so much, I've had good luck with their hand guards, levers, and braided front brake line (which is stamped Galfer). The pads work well, No complaints,  just hope to use the entire rotor surface area and maximum braking potential.

I know you are just being silly, but for everyone else, the wasted area at the outer circumference of the disc will affect braking more than the holes will because the holes are at a smaller radius. It looks more like 5mm wasted area on the disc, which if true that means that you paid for a 260mm disc but are only using 250mm (5mm x 2). There needs to be a minimum amount of unused area to keep the pads from overhanging when they wear, but not as much as you have. 

I suggest that the caliper hanger was mis-machined. 

• Like 1

Bought the bracket as listed in Brakin catalog for the 650r - 260mm rotor (my spare H013, now discontinued).  The contact patch is smaller than the Stock rotor, and my CRF230 (which is the largest) that uses the same caliper. Possibly 260mm out vs 240m (stock 650r) and 210mm (CRF230) changes the contact area. When researching the bracket I recall someone on the DRZ forum saying the company recommend using their pads, maybe not just for more sales.

I haven't  found a catalog with the Brakin pads, possibly discontinued also.