Bored and tired of the XR, sell or modify?

I have a 2003 XR250R that I have had since new, bought it at Handlebar Cycles in Durango in June 2003.  It has been rebuilt once 3 years ago, has a Wiseco 277 kit in it with Wiseco SS valves.  For an XR it is fast and keeps up fine with the newer and bigger bikes.

My dilemma is I'm just bored with it I guess, and tired of its top heaviness and odd handling due to that (one way sort of around that is never filling the gas tank all the way).  I'm kicking around getting an A Loop kit for it this winter and seeing if it changes my mind.  Or, do I just sell and get a used but newer CRF250R and set it up for trails?

12 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

I have a 2003 XR250R that I have had since new, bought it at Handlebar Cycles in Durango in June 2003.  It has been rebuilt once 3 years ago, has a Wiseco 277 kit in it with Wiseco SS valves.  For an XR it is fast and keeps up fine with the newer and bigger bikes.

My dilemma is I'm just bored with it I guess, and tired of its top heaviness and odd handling due to that (one way sort of around that is never filling the gas tank all the way).  I'm kicking around getting an A Loop kit for it this winter and seeing if it changes my mind.  Or, do I just sell and get a used but newer CRF250R and set it up for trails?

I have owned XR's in the past. I would most likely keep it for a back up bike. The 'new' bikes are not going to be like the ROCK solid XR and require a LOT of maintenance and VERY expensive when they break --> lot of expensive parts...

You might look at a KTM/Husky 2 stroke enduro 300 and they are TPI and very reliable.

10 minutes ago, ar2stroke said:

You might look at a KTM/Husky 2 stroke enduro 300 and they are TPI and very reliable.

I've owned Hondas since 1983, I'm pretty loyal, lol.  I've owned 2Ts in the past, just don't want to go down that road.  My sons have CRF450Rs and they are pretty darn reliable, both have been rebuilt once.  I'm seriously thinking about A Loop as a middle measure, just have never ridden an XR with the kit.

7 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

I've owned Hondas since 1983, I'm pretty loyal, lol.  I've owned 2Ts in the past, just don't want to go down that road.  My sons have CRF450Rs and they are pretty darn reliable, both have been rebuilt once.  I'm seriously thinking about A Loop as a middle measure, just have never ridden an XR with the kit.

They do have the New 'RX' models, to be honest I wish they still made the old school XR's as they were very solid.

The biggest drawback on them is the exhaust on both sides and more weight. They should get rid of that.

Edited by ar2stroke

Why don't you get a Honda 2 stroke? It would be really exciting coming off an xr. You could ride the cr at the track and open trails and the xr when the trails get gnarly. It will make you appreciate how smooth the xr is. Good luck, nothing more fun than a 2 stroke!BRAAAAAAAAAP
  • Like 1

Just now, Br0ck said:

Why don't you get a Honda 2 stroke? It would be really exciting coming off an xr. You could ride the cr at the track and open trails and the xr when the trails get gnarly. It will make you appreciate how smooth the xr is. Good luck, nothing more fun than a 2 stroke!BRAAAAAAAAAP

Darn 2Ts are all the rage right now, prices are stupid. Really pisses me off that I didnt buy my son's CR250 when he sold it a few years ago.

Darn 2Ts are all the rage right now, prices are stupid. Really pisses me off that I didnt buy my son's CR250 when he sold it a few years ago.
That sucks, there in canada I can get a 2005-2007 cr250 for $2500 which is pretty good for our monopoly money.

I'd keep the ole XR. You'll regret selling it at some point... I sure regretted selling my old XR400... ended up buying another one a few years later after my two strokes kept breaking down and draining my bank account. Will never sell my XR, ever. Have to pry it from my dead cold hands. Cheap to run, clean...  bulletproof. When whatever bike you end up getting explodes and needs a rebuild, you can fall back on ole reliable.

If you want an exciting, agile bike to flick around and don't mind wrenching, getcha a crusty old CR and fix it up. I'd specifically recommend a steel framed 92-97 CR125. Total opposite of the XR. No bottom end. Like a 50cc Chinese moped at first. But around upper mid range, the powerband hits, and those bikes scream... I mean they absolutely scream. Will tear your arms off at the handlebars and leave bloody stumps.  Sold a mint 96 a few years ago... wish I woulda just rolled it in the barn and let it sit until I got back around to it... 

12 hours ago, EnglertRacing said:

Pumper carb and usd forks......

Actually I have the stock forks working quite well now.  The suspension works, I have the front and rear working very well together.

As for the carb, lots of guys get aftermarket carbs to work well on the 400s, but it seems they are always trouble on the 250s, even big bore ones.  I've often considered it but am leery of the headache.

And as for what I am going to do, it is looking like I'll try an A Loop kit over the winter and see if it changes the way the bike feels.  And in the meantime I am keeping my eyes open for a nice CRF250R or a CR, but the darn CRs are expensive right now since the 2T fad hit.  A woman I know has a late 90s KX250 in her garage, it was her husband's and he died a few years ago.  I told her if she ever wants to sell it let me know, but to be pushy about it would be sorta insensitive.

11 hours ago, Off-Road Adventures said:

I got tired of the top heaviness and overweight of my XRs.

Picked up an AJP PR4X to try as a replacement.

So far, So good.  It is basically the lite weight modern day equivalent of the XR.

DSCN1602.JPG.18d5606262ed8fb1414861b1b3d4b656.JPG

I have looked at those and they are a serious consideration.  Just sort of too much like a CRF230F, though.

12 hours ago, Off-Road Adventures said:

I got tired of the top heaviness and overweight of my XRs.

Picked up an AJP PR4X to try as a replacement.

So far, So good.  It is basically the lite weight modern day equivalent of the XR.

DSCN1602.JPG.18d5606262ed8fb1414861b1b3d4b656.JPG

Enjoyed your initial take review video. Too bad they decided not to do homoligation for Street Legal. From first glance it looked like a XR400 in a CRF type frame but as you mentioned on your YT vid, the 4 in the name is not motor size. Either way looks great and hope they sell more.

You mentioned a CRF250R, which I also considered for its light weight but ended up with a CRF250X because of 18" rear tire, power for lights, estart, etc.  A X is still about 20+ lbs lighter than a XR250.

Problems with a R; 17" wheel, very stiff suspension with different valving in the forks/shock, close ratio gearbox, no spark arrester, no electrical.

I lightened my X with  a Shorai LiFe battery that saved over 3lbs of  up high weight. The X,  or R, do not have the soft seat of the XRs but a shock revalve can fix that (my X had R suspension on it).

You can tune a X to have throttle response almost like a XR, or more aggressive. Mine works great on tight ST.

4 hours ago, cmbthumper said:

Enjoyed your initial take review video. Too bad they decided not to do homoligation for Street Legal. From first glance it looked like a XR400 in a CRF type frame but as you mentioned on your YT vid, the 4 in the name is not motor size. Either way looks great and hope they sell more.

It comes with street title!