Bored and tired of the XR, sell or modify?

I don't know why anyone would think it isn't fair, the video is simply showing the performance differance between old XR and a new  PR4X.  Which means it would have beaten the XR250 by more too. The OP is looking to get into a replacement bike because he's bored and tired of his XR250.

All bikes are fair game and the PR4X would check all the boxes for dealing with "bored and differant".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WFO_Pete said:

I don't know why anyone would think it isn't fair, the video is simply showing the performance differance between old XR and a new  PR4X.  Which means it would have beaten the XR250 by more too. The OP is looking to get into a replacement bike because he's bored and tired of his XR250.

All bikes are fair game and the PR4X would check all the boxes for dealing with "bored and differant".

I agree, and I'll add that best bike is very dependent on riding terrain and the rider. I've competed off road with a variety of bikes and 80-100 mile Enduros really exaggerate the trail riding experience. The short wheel base steep rake XRs from 84 and on are very agile in the woods compared to long wheel base bikes based on a MX chassis. The later take more energy to ride on tight trails but a lot of riders prefer the feel.  A Trials based bike is much more agile than either but the short wheelbase and short suspension travel requires way too much energy to trail ride at speed for any distance.  Somewhere there is a perfect bike for your riding expectations and terrain. I currently have one each of the above and the XR is my fav trail bike for the PNW.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chuck. said:

I agree, and I'll add that best bike is very dependent on riding terrain and the rider. I've competed off road with a variety of bikes and 80-100 mile Enduros really exaggerate the trail riding experience. The short wheel base steep rake XRs from 84 and on are very agile in the woods compared to long wheel base bikes based on a MX chassis. The later take more energy to ride on tight trails but a lot of riders prefer the feel.  A Trials based bike is much more agile than either but the short wheelbase and short suspension travel requires way too much energy to trail ride at speed for any distance.  Somewhere there is a perfect bike for your riding expectations and terrain. I currently have one each of the above and the XR is my fav trail bike for the PNW.

This is exactly why the PR4 felt so good to me the other day.  The combination of the short wheelbase, modern suspension, low center of gravity, and lite-weight were almost too good to be true.  I am so looking forward to putting it in the rough stuff soon (hopefully next weekend) and see how it handles it.

On 10/28/2018 at 11:51 AM, Chuck. said:

Terrain does have a lot to do with it.  I went for a ride up behind the house yesterday on a lot of a bit slower and more technical stuff.  Soil conditions were perfect, dry but still enough grip from recent rains but loose enough to slide the back end when I wanted to.  Had only about a half tank of gas to minimize the top heaviness of the XR277R.  I have to say after all these years I do have the suspension working very well, so effort is not what it could be.  I actually had fun, bike handled well.  The big bore has always supplied plenty of power, so that is not an issue.  The Kenda Parker DTs worked well for the terrain, I even went up a steep hill of nothing but baby heads with very little effort (coming down was a little more of a challenge, there was no other way down).  My sons and friends keep telling me to get a newer, more modern bike, and I have to agree (see my original post in this thread).  But, I am leaning towards giving an A Loop kit a try this winter, at least the look will be more modern and the top heaviness will be reduced.  XR rear suspensions have never been much of a problem, and the front now works well enough for me.  Air cooled is simple, and even with the big bore I have never had a problem with overheating.

BTW, that comparison between an XR400 and the AJP is very unfair (I haven't watched it, but also having an XR4 in the shed I am very familiar with it, it is EXTREMELY top heavy...and just heavy, that's why the smaller XR is the one that is ridden).

I saw this video some time ago. I do a lot of riding to explore, single track with buddies. I also have an xr650r and ktm625sxc I can ride if more open terrain or on a motorhome trip somewhere as my only bike.  Variety helps. I also have the 280 kit, bike has all it needs.  Gentle enough to cross Death Valley several weeks after a surgery and balance in rocks better than any 2 stroke I've had. 

When i get bored of the little xr, I pull up the video, try some stuff this Aussie does and remind myself it's not the bike ? I still stuck and need more practice! 

You know what's not boring? Riding. Riding an XR when your friends cant ride coz their ktm/husky/crf has a broken, leaking doodad, thingamajig made out of unobtainium currently on back order. That's boring.

Get another bike, but keep the XR. As we age, they become better than we !

• Like 2

Keep your xr250 and buy and XR400, lol 

don't forget it's cheaper to get the XR's street legal, modern street legal dirt bikes have an added price of $1500-2000

$10,000 for a new crf450L , or get a clean xr400 and have all the go fast parts installed on the motor for $2500 and still have money for a toyhauler trailer

Edited by Fred Wendel

On 11/1/2018 at 12:21 PM, Fred Wendel said:

Keep your xr250 and buy and XR400, lol 

don't forget it's cheaper to get the XR's street legal, modern street legal dirt bikes have an added price of $1500-2000

$10,000 for a new crf450L , or get a clean xr400 and have all the go fast parts installed on the motor for $2500 and still have money for a toyhauler trailer

I have a 2002 400.  Never ride it.  The damn thing is too heavy, especially top heavy.  Its been sitting in my shed for 2 years unridden.  The 250 just feels tons lighter.

• Like 1

I have a 2002 400.  Never ride it.  The damn thing is too heavy, especially top heavy.  Its been sitting in my shed for 2 years unridden.  The 250 just feels tons lighter.
Where do you live, ill take it off your hands.
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dlock5 said:
12 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Where do you live, ill take it off your hands.

Can't give it up, my oldest son insists he will ride it someday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Rode a 2012 CRF250X on Sunday.  With a flywheel weight that thing would be a modern XR.  Gearing is similar.  I'm convinced.  Used newer CRF250X in my future.

Still have it, if you want it. Just need to put a piston in it before it leaves. Shoot, might even be talked into delivering it. I have new things to ride now. 

300rr.jpg

5 minutes ago, redhurricane said:

Still have it, if you want it. Just need to put a piston in it before it leaves. Shoot, might even be talked into delivering it. I have new things to ride now. 

300rr.jpg

Tempting, but looking for something a little newer.

5 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Rode a 2012 CRF250X on Sunday.  With a flywheel weight that thing would be a modern XR.  Gearing is similar.  I'm convinced.  Used newer CRF250X in my future.

I've owned XR250Rs and my X has throttle response a lot like an XR, but oh so much more power on the top. The 5 speed spread is a little narrower than a XR but the power delivery is so broad that it just means less shifting.