Cold Weather Engine Break-In

Just finished up doing a top end rebuild on a 81 Honda Xl500s , as it goes the weather caught up with me. I should be able to have the

bike ready to fire up by next weekend....if work doesn't slow me down. They're calling for the temps to be in the mid 40's. What would be the 

best break-in technique for this time of year or should I wait for warmer weather

Thanks

IMG_3054.JPG

IMG_3073.JPG

IMG_3081.JPG

IMG_3085.JPG

Just run it like you would normally. 

Biggest thing with cold weather is to take it easy when you're first getting it up to temp.  When i'm riding mine in cold weather (below freezing) i'll let it idle for a few minutes before I start riding, and take it easy for the first few minutes while everything's coming up to temp. 

• Like 1

40's wont matter man. Just proceed as normal.

• Like 1

Break in, unless it is a race engine, is an over rated "mystery".  Just don't over rev it, vary the rpms, and let it warm up.  And change the oil and filter after a couple hours of initial riding.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Break in, unless it is a race engine, is an over rated "mystery".  Just don't over rev it, vary the rpms, and let it warm up.  And change the oil and filter after a couple hours of initial riding.

Exactly.  40's is not cold for an engine.

Joe