Do i need help?? im posting this because i feel you guys are the only ones that will understand as my friends and family just seem to brush it off and say it will happen one day. So ive suffered from manic depression for a very long time, infact i cant remember when it started but the only thing that has ever made me happy is riding a bike, working on it and all the wonderful things that come with being a bike owner! I had a xr125 for a few years and before that motocross bikes from a young age and i loved riding offroad with my dad as a kid. So i got this xr125 to start me on the path to a bigger trail bike so i could get out on the trails and enjoy my second passion nature. I loved it, it was slow and bottomed out on the smallest bump but it got me out there and it was great but as i was used to riding bikes i quickly out grew it! So i started saving for something bigger and then was going to sell the xr to get the last chunk of money to fund the new bike which i had my heart set on a wr250f, used ofcourse and most likely the steel frame model. Then life got in the way and the money got washed away, what made it worse is i lost my dad who was my big inspiration for riding bikes and he was pushing and helping me as much as he could but now it feels like im never going to get there, im almost 31 and suffer with ankylosing spondylitis and have from a young age and there is no cure it just gets worse as you get older so i feel even worse because at anytime i could be wheelchair confined and never actually be able to do my main passion in life! Am i selfish and negative or am i just being stupid and should just toughen up and accept the way it is? i feel lost and doomed to a life without dirtbiking again, what makes it worse is i now live in burton in the uk and can smell the peak district ahaha! and i am so eager to go and ride the trails and enjoy it but i cant! Anyway im sorry for the rant but i thought you people would understand more than anybody how it feels when you cant ride! Thanks for taking the time to read this!

• Like 1

NO you are not crazy or selfish.....DO what you want while you can brother.  Sounds like it is not an easy path to get there, but it seems like you are also the type to forge ahead and do what you need to do to accomplish this goal. GO FOR IT ! 

Joe

• Like 2

This is way out of my wheelhouse.  All I can say is do it while you can and try to stay as healthy as you can.  Eat right, no drinking alcohol, no smoking and no recreational drugs. 

• Like 3

Brother we have a lot in common. I have rode bikes starting on the farm since 5 years old. I am 52 years old now. At the age of 23 I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis. Anger, depression, feeling sorry for myself, increasing lack of mobility, constant pain, outbreaks of painful walking and sitting. Those were all part of my life now for longer than not. I was in a big box hardware store one day, and saw a young teen lady with MS in a wheelchair, the kind you drive with a stick and her hands were strapped to the arm rests as she could not hold still, she was drooling but had a smile on her face to be out in town. HUGE wake up call, everybody is dealing with things we don't tell other people, but don't wear that as a burden like you are half a person. I can walk, see, hear, eat whatever I want, ride some, stand in the middle of the river and flyfish. This is what you, for whatever reason was given to deal with, it is not that you have this that defines your life and happiness, but how you deal with it.

Get with a good rheumetologist and get on some newer meds. They have assistance programs for affording it, sometimes nearly free. Enbrel, Remecaid etc. I go to a Chiropractor periodically so as my spine is fusing, I am fused upright. I am 70% fused from head to tail. Keep yourself warm, especially your neck. Stay active, avoid jarring things like running, do some light weightlifting even if it is pushups, and milk jug curls. You control your attitude towards each day. Make them good.

I used to race enduros for fun with my brother, he raced a lot, I lost him 4 years ago, he was a huge influence in me riding, his last attempt was to qualify to race endurocross in Denver, he had some lung issues and couldn't even complete qualifiers. The last time I rode trails with him I locked the front end, went over the bars and tore my bicep, he had to lift the bike off me so I wouldn't tear my bad knee again, When I ride forest trials now, he is with me in some way, I feel it.

I now have a 2012 KLX250S, live in Colorado just below the mountains, I set my bike up soft on the suspension side, ride paved roads to the forest roads, most are gravel or dirt a decent car or truck could take. Sometimes I take a side single track and have some fun. Even if I just get out for a couple hours twice a month in the pines, it satisfies my moto fix. It is therapy. Maybe I can't do this forever, but do what you can now. Used bikes are cheap, if you can't afford it ride a clunker, honestly I have a blast riding minibikes around my yard. If we end up in wheelchairs, lets get ones with motors and ride some wheelies.

• Like 5
  • Helpful 2

Probiotics, WATER, and get yourself out in the sun, lots of problems start with low vitamin D

Thank you so much for your replies guys! Unfortunately Kxlubber its not that easy, as kdxyardsale knows lol!

@kdxyardsale Thank you so much dude, you really helped me, its hard for people without our condition to understand how hard it really is every day! Im on enbrel and its great but sometimes i over do it and i feel it for a few days after lol! Im currently in the process of going through my dads stuff and some stuff i wont use or has no sentimental value to me so i think im going to sell it and then use the money to fund my dream, it what he would want me to do i know it. So that is the plan! Ive done loads of research and im thinking im going for a wr250f, i did tamper with the idea of a beta 390 but im not 100% about a few things and i know theres loads of wr250fs around so they will be cheaper and easier to get spares! By the way im in the UK so we dont have craigslist, its either ebay,gumtree or facebook marketplace! Again thank you so much guys for the encouragement and love! P.S   kdxyardsale Ill hold you to that wheelchair race and wheelie contest ;)

• Like 1

There are great replies above but also check out Barry's (OZ DRZ) "Black Dog" vid's.  

and

• Like 1

On 11/27/2018 at 10:56 AM, ToAdBusby399 said:

Thank you so much for your replies guys! Unfortunately Kxlubber its not that easy, as kdxyardsale knows lol!

@kdxyardsale Thank you so much dude, you really helped me, its hard for people without our condition to understand how hard it really is every day! Im on enbrel and its great but sometimes i over do it and i feel it for a few days after lol! Im currently in the process of going through my dads stuff and some stuff i wont use or has no sentimental value to me so i think im going to sell it and then use the money to fund my dream, it what he would want me to do i know it. So that is the plan! Ive done loads of research and im thinking im going for a wr250f, i did tamper with the idea of a beta 390 but im not 100% about a few things and i know theres loads of wr250fs around so they will be cheaper and easier to get spares! By the way im in the UK so we dont have craigslist, its either ebay,gumtree or facebook marketplace! Again thank you so much guys for the encouragement and love! P.S   kdxyardsale Ill hold you to that wheelchair race and wheelie contest ;)

You bet dude! Keep your chin up, sounds like you got the right attitude now! If you have a bad stretch and get down PM me. Your dad and my little bro are sure to be happy to see us riding!

• Like 1

@Max17 They are great vids, i forgot about them! I watched them ages ago and i agreed but i just rewatched them and man, it really hit home! Thank you!

@kdxyardsale Thank you so much dude, you dont know how much them words mean, they sure will be happy to see us riding, and you know ive come to the conclusion &%$#@! everyone else, this is my life and ill do everything i can to enjoy it and if they dont get it or want to stand in my way thats their problem! i for sure will pm you especially once i get a wr250f, cant wait to show it off! heres to the future! Have a good christmas and new year dude ❤️

• Like 3

You have to do what you want to do with your life. Nobody understands my obsession with dirt bikes and mountain bikes so I just have to go at it myself and find other like minded people.

• Like 1

If you find you cannot be happy without riding dirt bikes, I think you need to reevaluate your life. I would miss riding hugely, but there is definitely more to life and many things to enjoy, and they don't all involve sports. There is always a four wheeled vehicle to keep up the thrill if necessary.

3 hours ago, LSHD said:

If you find you cannot be happy without riding dirt bikes, I think you need to reevaluate your life. I would miss riding hugely, but there is definitely more to life and many things to enjoy, and they don't all involve sports. There is always a four wheeled vehicle to keep up the thrill if necessary.

Having a life altering chronic permanent condition is a crusher. Especially in the prime of your life. People who don't have one, can say they get it, but never will, I pray you never do, it sucks. I don't disagree there are other things, but certain things for some of us, are the only escape we find from constant pain and depression. Go read his first post, then his last, let the man live how he wants. If he went to a Doc they would put him on some shitty mood drugs, twisting a throttle is free and healthy. Ride on brother.

30 minutes ago, kdxyardsale said:

Having a life altering chronic permanent condition is a crusher. Especially in the prime of your life. People who don't have one, can say they get it, but never will, I pray you never do, it sucks. I don't disagree there are other things, but certain things for some of us, are the only escape we find from constant pain and depression. Go read his first post, then his last, let the man live how he wants. If he went to a Doc they would put him on some shitty mood drugs, twisting a throttle is free and healthy. Ride on brother.

1. I never said he shouldn't ride.
2. Having the condition is something he cannot change. And eventually he won't be able to ride. Knowing both of those facts, my recommendation is to do whatever possible to find a way to enjoy life without riding, as it is coming.
3. I happen to live with a physical disability. But whether or not anyone has one, we have what we have. And to have a single activity that is the ONLY thing that makes you happy is dangerous. As I would recommend to anyone, with or without physical impairment, I recommend that he looks very hard at his life to find ways to enjoy it even without riding. The other choice is to do nothing. It's not tough love. It's his only positive choice.

I'm sure you know already, removing dairy and going plant based or similar type diet may help ankylosing spondylitis. Hang in there, we're pulling for you!

6 hours ago, LSHD said:

@LSHD Wow dude, Ive done nothing but reevaluate my life from the age of 7, i lost out on so much stuff because of my condition and that is partly the reason im in the state mentally that i am now! i get what you are saying but its easy to say when you can just hope on your bike and go ride.. i have other hobbies i know one day i wont be able to ride but right now i can, so im trying to!

• Like 2

[mention=381613]LSHD[/mention] Wow dude, Ive done nothing but reevaluate my life from the age of 7, i lost out on so much stuff because of my condition and that is partly the reason im in the state mentally that i am now! i get what you are saying but its easy to say when you can just hope on your bike and go ride.. i have other hobbies i know one day i wont be able to ride but right now i can, so im trying to!
I have some issues, arthritis, and I'm older. My back has numerous issues. I knew I wanted to keep riding. Sold my street bike and went back to DS. Because I'm short and with my back issues. I bought a "low" bike. On the day's I could ride, I crawled on to my bike. When others saw me they'd laugh out loud ! I didn't care, I was "doing", living life not watching it go by. I've had a lot of health improvements, so I've bought different bikes. But kept that DS. It has more meaning than as something to ride.
While I have this "need" to ride. It's not the only thing that brings me joy. My pets rate higher. While it will be hard, when I'm no longer able to ride. I know it will happen. So I'm enjoying what I have.

• Like 1

Get a bike and ride! Now! Theres no better therapy! 

When my knees are going to kill me, i sit on a bike when possible. It never got worse through riding.

of course people think , im crasy: old silly man, can barely walk sometimes, but rides offroadbikes....

but: it doesnt matter! And it makes all better!

its arthritis in Knees and some other places. Last year a doc told me, that without my sports, I could barely walk anymore now. So i think, he wanted to say, that i did all right!

Edited by engl
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, engl said:

Get a bike and ride! Now! Theres no better therapy! 

YES! It's the only thing that keeps me from go'n nuck'n futs!

• Like 3