XL600R, pulled out of the barn...

So, new to TT.   I just picked up my old ‘83 XL600R from Cousins barn.  I am the original owner and sold it to my cousins 20+ years ago.  Anyway, he wants to get it running again.  Has about 1800 miles on it.   I used it for college to and from class.   Anyway, carbs have been off and in a box for who knows how many years...more dirt dauber mud tha carb at the moment.  Cylinder open to elements for years.  It turns freely.  

I plan a refurbishment to reliability, not a full blown restoration.  My cousins wants to sell his BMW and use it for neighborhood running around in Houston and on the farm for fun.  I seem to have all the parts.

Any suggestions on what to focus on and how best to bring it back to life without causing damage?  

Don't force anything to move that should and doesn't want to.  Dirt, old oil and gas can be easily handled.  My concern would be surface rust on anything that moves.  If not removed it can cause the quick demise of important parts.  If the crankcase isn't split, I'd do it to verify what's down inside.  It's probably not much work from where it already is.   

Well, definitely don’t want to split the case unless absolutely necessary.   But, your right about surface rust.  Hmmm...

Transmission fluid through the sparkplug hole , then push it around for a minute in fifth gear with the plug still out. Change the oil , clean the cobwebs out of the carbs and start kicking. 

10-4 on the oil soak.   Unfortunately, carbs are totally blown apart with missing pieces.  Primary carb to secondary carb mounting ears broken.  Already bought used primary carb off Ebay along with rebuild kits and insulator block (broken).   Some hamfisted person manhandled the carbs apparently.

thinking of spraying fogging oil inside topend to hopefully Pre-lube the camshaft.