YF60 "4-Zinger" Basket Case Restoration

I'm doing a write-up on a project I'm working on. It's a 1986 Yamaha YF60 "4-Zinger" quad. Maybe some of you all had one as a kid? 😋

I found it on Craigslist for $100 and I couldn't pass it up. It was almost 100% complete; just missing the bottom half of the throttle controls and a CDI box, which I was lucky enough to find on eBay for a decent price. I had to source out a throttle / Off-On-Start assembly from a '86 Tri-Zinger which is basically the same part. It's tough to find parts on-line and there's only a few OEM parts still available for this model. 

It has a lighting coil on the stator assembly (OEM parts list calls it a "generator"), but I'm not sure why. It doesn't have any lights on it and it's a pull start so no battery at all. It also has a "pulser" coil? I'm guessing similar to a crank position sensor on a car or truck?

On the to-do list:

• Tear down - paint the frame, high temp / flame-proof paint for muffler assembly
  • New tires - with rigorous searching and cross-referencing I found the size required for the little wheels
  • Restore plastics - sand, prep with adhesion promoter, and apply new decal set (there's a place in Vegas with an eBay store that sells replica sets)
  • Re-cover seat (there's a vendor on eBay that makes replacement covers with the Yamaha branding on the sides)
  • Re-build carb
  • Disable the "Auto Lube" oil pump (going to run pre-mix on it) as the oil tank is gone
  • Oil change
  • Check rear drive shaft assembly and grease
  • Check rear brake / hub
  • Go through electrical and install CDI box
  • Install controls / new grips
  • Top-end service - new piston kit

That should bring it back to life and into decent shape. I hope that my son can get some fun out of it until he outgrows the machine. Then I'll sell it to someone who will take care of it and keep it running down the road.

20181004_182012.jpg

20181004_181935.jpg

20181007_214036.jpg

20181020_213651.jpg