Yz trail bike

I currently have a 2004 yz 125, i would love to make it more trail friendly, I have a list of some stuff I would like to get but would also like to know what other people recommend? Main thing I want is a FWW

It all depends on the type of trails you'll be riding. With the exception of the enduro orientated euro small bore 2 strokes, the japanese 125 2 strokes are very difficult to make great trail bikes. The way they make power means that you'll be working VERY hard in tight and technical terrain to keep it from stalling while maintaining enough power. Every modification you will make will essentially just be a small band aid and not change the overall character of the bike. The exception to this rule would be if the trails are more open/ flowing. If you expect to be in some really tight and technical stuff, I'd look for another bike.

I bought my '05 YZ 250 used, and it was already heavily modified to handle the trails. 18" rear wheel, guards on everything, rekluse z-start, tubliss and swapped forks and shock with tweaks to soften the suspension. My YZ is still a compromise one the trails and I notice it when I ride friends Husqvarnas and KTM's that are designed for the type of riding we do. The 250cc 2 strokes are very do-able if modified and I've had great luck with mine for the past 4 years or so. 125's are a different beast altogether and you still have the motocross characteristics with no bottom end power, which is a terrible recipe for serious trail riding.

My friend had a RM 125 that he spent a lot of time and $ on trying to make it a good trail bike. It was simply terrible to ride on the trails and took twice the effort to go through the same obstacles. I would only recommend it if you're looking to either ruin trail riding for yourself forever or want to purposely make trial riding more challenging. I'd recommend starting with a better platform, honestly.

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 2:05 AM, dattorob said:

...Biggest thing is if its not the X model...

Yeah, we don't get the YZ125X in the 'States. :cry:

Rub it in, why don't ya!

The money spent trying to make a YZ125 more trail friendly*

would be better invested in saving up for a true off-road / enduro type bike.

Spending on a big-bore, suspension revalve yet, you are still stuck with a close-ratio gearbox.

*were's talking recreational trail bike, not a purpose built off-road race bike.

• Like 1

The YZ 125 can make the most fun trail bike ever, but it of course depends on what you mean by "trail".  If you are talking super tight 5-10 mph rocky stuff with steep climbs, well then you probably don't want a YZ 125.  If you are talking wide open high speed fire roads were you can pin it for long stretches in a tall gear, then you probably don't want a YZ 125.  However, for most everything in between, with a few simple mods, and a rider that's willing to shift and clutch, the YZ 125 can be the best trail bike ever!  Especially the steel frame models.  

Like others have said--tons of threads on this topic if you search.

As a dedicated and exclusive YZ125 rider I would say the only mod you really need is a suspension revalve for your conditions.  That is the best money you can spend by far.  You won't believe the difference.  

One thing you don't need is a FWW.  It works against everything the YZ is good at.  Save the FWW for your 250s.

If you search my threads you will find that I have tried and reported on many things, but I keep coming back to the same formula for my YZs (03 and 06), mainly a stock engine, stock or slightly lower gearing (1 tooth on the rear, NO O-ring chains), suspension revalve for my conditions, jetting for seasonal temperature changes, basic protection (hand guards, skid plate), a big tank for races, and tires suited for the conditions. 

Spend you money on suspension and tires and the bike will work great.  It does not get any better than rippin' through the woods on a YZ 125.  Braaaapppp!!!

Edited by rpt50
  • Like 2

I currently have a 2004 yz 125, i would love to make it more trail friendly, I have a list of some stuff I would like to get but would also like to know what other people recommend? Main thing I want is a FWW

New clutch pack, fresh coolant, skid plate, pipe guard, and some boysen super stock reeds, those reeds made my yz pull really well down low with a sacrifice of top end, but I think it was worth it.

• Like 1

If the bike is in good mechanical condition i would focus on getting the suspension set up for you and getting the engine characteristics better adjusted as much as you can for the type of trail riding you plan to do.   I don't know much about what mods/adjustments work on the yz125 but i would look into the normal things, reeds, pipe, head, FWW, timing, ect... 

The yz125 is an amazing platform and sure a 250 will have more grunt but that doesn't mean that a yz125 isn't any good for the woods or trails.  There is a kid that races yz125 in the very competitive local hare scrambles here and he won the 125 2t 250 4t B class this year.  

Edited by subxero
  • Like 3

yeh sorry i didn't read the question properly thought we were talking 250. yeh no x model. I would just look at changing the gearing a bit and oversize gas tank. Maybe a good port job from eric gorr or if Aus two strok peformance . The other main thing would be revalve the suspension to enduro (recommend racetech). If you did all the above the 125 would be more than capable trail machine assuming you are not a heavy person. cheers

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 7:07 PM, subxero said:

If the bike is in good mechanical condition i would focus on getting the suspension set up for you and getting the engine characteristics better adjusted as much as you can for the type of trail riding you plan to do.   I don't know much about what mods/adjustments work on the yz125 but i would look into the normal things, reeds, pipe, head, FWW, timing, ect... 

The yz125 is an amazing platform and sure a 250 will have more grunt but that doesn't mean that a yz125 isn't any good for the woods or trails.  There is a kid that races yz125 in the very competitive local hare scrambles here and he won the 125 2t 250 4t B class this year.  

With "kid" being the key word!

On 11/11/2018 at 9:04 PM, Piney Woods said:

With "kid" being the key word!

Any one in their 20s and lower is kid to me so i wouldn't read to much into it for all i know he was damn near 30 

• Haha 1