Kx 125 kick start gear idler

Hi. I bought a 2001 kx125 in parts last spring,pretty much in a box,  finally got around to putting engine back together and am working on right side case, I install the kickstart idler gear that runs between the back of clutch hub and kickstart and it seems it just floats on shaft with nothing to hold it in to place, does any one happen to know if that is correct?

On 10/21/2018 at 7:18 AM, m78val said:

Hi. I bought a 2001 kx125 in parts last spring,pretty much in a box,  finally got around to putting engine back together and am working on right side case, I install the kickstart idler gear that runs between the back of clutch hub and kickstart and it seems it just floats on shaft with nothing to hold it in to place, does any one happen to know if that is correct?

There is usually a C clip or snap ring that holds that gear to the shaft it rides on. 

That's kind of what I remember on previous bikes, this one the way it is the gear backs up to a snap ring so it does not rub on case, but has nothing on outside of gear to hold it.

I do remember having a kx250f that the idler gear was not retained by anything, which I think is a bad idea, after looking at parts diagrams it doesn't look like it is retained, thanks for the input.

Circlip is on output shaft already, idler gear backs up against it to keep alignment and depth right, but no clip on front side.

If memory serves me right the gear is held on the shaft by the circlip. Some bikes have a thin shim or washer that goes on the shaft then the gear then the clip holds it on.

Edited by FPMXer

That's what I thought, there is not enough length to get gear and circlip on and alignment is off, only way alignment works is circlip first and then gear, if circlip is not in place then gear backs up to case and binds and alignment is off between kickstart gear and clutch drive gear. Its throwing me for a loop, tranny shifts thru gear fine and case halfs went together fine, that gear rides on output shaft so it definitely seems seated correct.

Can you post a pic? Does the gear itself the same on both sides or is there a shoulder on one side that should face towards the case and then it's aligned and the circlip will snap into the grove on the end of the shaft?

Here is gear without circlip, it then will run on case

20181024_173032.jpg

20181024_173020.jpg

Ok I see no groove on top of the shaft for the circlip. So like you stated install circlip and then the gear with the shoulder to the back and it will be fine. Once the clutch basket is installed the gear will not come off the shaft.

Thanks for the help, just one of those things I question. I'm pretty sure one of my bikes had a similar setup. Thanks 

• Like 1