Kx 125 kick start gear idler

Hi. I bought a 2001 kx125 in parts last spring,pretty much in a box,  finally got around to putting engine back together and am working on right side case, I install the kickstart idler gear that runs between the back of clutch hub and kickstart and it seems it just floats on shaft with nothing to hold it in to place, does any one happen to know if that is correct?

On 10/21/2018 at 7:18 AM, m78val said:

Hi. I bought a 2001 kx125 in parts last spring,pretty much in a box,  finally got around to putting engine back together and am working on right side case, I install the kickstart idler gear that runs between the back of clutch hub and kickstart and it seems it just floats on shaft with nothing to hold it in to place, does any one happen to know if that is correct?

There is usually a C clip or snap ring that holds that gear to the shaft it rides on. 

That's what I thought, there is not enough length to get gear and circlip on and alignment is off, only way alignment works is circlip first and then gear, if circlip is not in place then gear backs up to case and binds and alignment is off between kickstart gear and clutch drive gear. Its throwing me for a loop, tranny shifts thru gear fine and case halfs went together fine, that gear rides on output shaft so it definitely seems seated correct.

Can you post a pic? Does the gear itself the same on both sides or is there a shoulder on one side that should face towards the case and then it's aligned and the circlip will snap into the grove on the end of the shaft?

Ok I see no groove on top of the shaft for the circlip. So like you stated install circlip and then the gear with the shoulder to the back and it will be fine. Once the clutch basket is installed the gear will not come off the shaft.

• 1 year later...

Hey, just wondering if you got this back together and it’s working fine?  I’ve got the same thing on my rebuild and noticed there’s nothing to keep the idle gear put.  Even with the clutch basket on it has some play if you put lateral force on it with your finger.  Most bikes i’ve been into had 2 circlips.  One on each side of the gear.  Thanks!

4BCF601A-D068-49A6-AAB7-4E0E2CC4CD7F.jpeg

6A581CE4-F434-4065-991D-B79967FB0F77.jpeg

16 hours ago, Cruz Eslick said:

Hey, just wondering if you got this back together and it’s working fine?  I’ve got the same thing on my rebuild and noticed there’s nothing to keep the idle gear put.  Even with the clutch basket on it has some play if you put lateral force on it with your finger.  Most bikes i’ve been into had 2 circlips.  One on each side of the gear.  Thanks!

4BCF601A-D068-49A6-AAB7-4E0E2CC4CD7F.jpeg

6A581CE4-F434-4065-991D-B79967FB0F77.jpeg

I hope your not running that clutch basket!?!?!? It's garbage!

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to revive a dead thread but has anyone had any issues with this idler gear coming off when kicking the bike over? I have it installed in accordance with the service manual and when I kick the bike hard the gear "slips" off and falls out of position.  The kickstarter will then not be transferring force to the engine, leaving the kickstart lever to move up and down. It returns normally but does not turn over the engine. If you tip the bike to its left and tap the clutch cover the idler gear returns to the correct position, allowing it to turn over the engine again.  I read through my manual and I seem to have everything installed correctly, plus the gear has no apparent damage and isnt missing any teeth. Ive called multiple mechanics and cant get a straight answer as to what could be the issue. I'm really pulling my hair out on this one, any help would be appreciated.

58 minutes ago, cheesierlizard1 said:

Sorry to revive a dead thread but has anyone had any issues with this idler gear coming off when kicking the bike over? I have it installed in accordance with the service manual and when I kick the bike hard the gear "slips" off and falls out of position.  The kickstarter will then not be transferring force to the engine, leaving the kickstart lever to move up and down. It returns normally but does not turn over the engine. If you tip the bike to its left and tap the clutch cover the idler gear returns to the correct position, allowing it to turn over the engine again.  I read through my manual and I seem to have everything installed correctly, plus the gear has no apparent damage and isnt missing any teeth. Ive called multiple mechanics and cant get a straight answer as to what could be the issue. I'm really pulling my hair out on this one, any help would be appreciated.

Answered your other post but you're missing a thrust washer or circlip inside the transmission. The output shaft is falling inside of the case too far. Split the cases and figure out what the issue is.