YZ250FX Lowering Question

I recently got back into riding after nearly a 20 year layoff (marriage, kids, etc). I’m looking at getting my new YZ250FX lowered 1 inch.  I would like to get a spacer added to the rear shock rather than going the lowering link route.  I weigh 180-185 pounds without gear and will be riding trails only (no racing).  Anyone with a similar weight have experience lowering their bike 1 inch for trail riding?  Did you need to change your spring rates or valving.  Any recommendations on who I should contact - approximate costs?  Thanks for the feedback....... 

RP

There's three ways you can lower the rear end;

1- Lowering link

2 - Spacer between the shock piston and seal head. Requires shock disassembly.

3 - Spacer between the seal head and the retainer clip. Does NOT require shock disassembly if you use a split (2 piece) spacer.

Option 3 is the easiest and cheapest.

Depending on your weight, the current spring rate, and the lowering method, you may or may not need to re-spring.

Option 1 (lowering link) will lower the rear without changing the rising rate of the linkage. Options 2 and 3 shorten the shock and the rising rate of the linkage starts in a partially compressed state. This effectively 'stiffens' the rear without changing the spring.

The stock spring on your FX should be OK if you are a trail rider. If you lower with a link, the spring rate will be unchanged but you will have 1" less suspension travel. This will reduce the total change in the rising rate of the linkage before the rear bottoms.

Options 2 and 3 will start with the rising rate of the linkage initially stiffer, but you will end up with about the same bottoming resistance as the bike with the stock ride height with the same spring.

So, the choice comes down to how compliant you want the initial travel of the suspension, or how much resistance to bottoming you want. Lowering the suspension is going to compromise one or the other.

As far as changing spring rate or valving, I wouldn't worry about that right now. Since it's been a while since you've been on a bike, just pick a lowering method and see how you like it. Valving isn't going to need to be adjusted much and you may be able to make enough corrections with the stock adjusters.

Thanks for your response.  

RP

Edited by R1peacock

You never mentioned your height?   I have both my shock and my forks lowered 1"  and have on my past 3 bikes.   I'm 5'8" and weigh 165 lbs without gear, so vertically challenged for the FX with stock suspension.  I also went down several spring rates both ft and back due to my weight.   I think with your weight the stock springs are about right, but if you want to lower the forks, you will need fork springs 1" shorter.    Search and ask around for a good local shock tuner - or contact Factory Connection.    At least for me, if you are riding technical single track, being able to dab on occasion is necessary, or you tip over, which is a bummer.   Once you get your FX's suspension dialed in, it is a game changer.   

On 10/21/2018 at 5:30 PM, Shredjim said:

You never mentioned your height?   I have both my shock and my forks lowered 1"  and have on my past 3 bikes.   I'm 5'8" and weigh 165 lbs without gear, so vertically challenged for the FX with stock suspension.  I also went down several spring rates both ft and back due to my weight.   I think with your weight the stock springs are about right, but if you want to lower the forks, you will need fork springs 1" shorter.    Search and ask around for a good local shock tuner - or contact Factory Connection.    At least for me, if you are riding technical single track, being able to dab on occasion is necessary, or you tip over, which is a bummer.   Once you get your FX's suspension dialed in, it is a game changer.   

what method was used to lower the forks, I'm looking at getting one of these bikes and my only mod would be to lower the suspension 

d

On 10/31/2018 at 4:33 AM, ROD Kerry said:

what method was used to lower the forks, I'm looking at getting one of these bikes and my only mod would be to lower the suspension 

Unless you have suspension tuning experience, I would take it to a suspension tuner in your area.   Most tuners say lowering a bike more than 1" is a bad idea, so I just lower both my forks and shock by 1".  To properly lower the forks, you will need 1" shorter fork springs and a spacer.  If your weight is 180 - 185 without gear the stock 250FX springs will be about right.  If not, make sure you change the spring rates to match your weight and ability level.  Again, another thing a professional tuner can help you with.  My tuner convinced me to go down two spring rates (I was figuring on going down only 1 rate)  on the shock and I'm really glad I did.  I use the Japanese spring rates instead of USA.  Like I have posted before, one of the best things about this bike is the KYB suspension with real springs.  Once you get it dialed, it is a game changer.