Stood up and it just died!

I went riding for about 3 hours yesterday.  2 blocks from the house, I stood up to stretch, and it just died.  I limped into a bank parking lot, and started it back up.  I think that I might have hit the kick stand safety switch with the heel of my boot.  In the parking lot, I put the stand down and up, put it into neutral and flipped the run/stop switch.  Anyone have an issue with the safety switch?  First time that this has happened, but that's all I can think of.

It always happens to me when I've accidentally hit the run/stop switch.  Usually when I touch the right mirror while I'm riding.

It has happened enough times that I now recognize it immediately and can correct it within a few seconds.

good idea to get familiar with the "safety switch by-pass" anyway.............clutch has one as well

Grounding both wires at the clutch switch bypasses all the start-run safeties, kickstand included.

1 hour ago, XR650L_Dave said:

Grounding both wires at the clutch switch bypasses all the start-run safeties, kickstand included.

This sounds like an "L" only safety deal, correct? (I'm new to XRs and only confused because he said "kickstart")

7 minutes ago, timbanditos said:

This sounds like an "L" only safety deal, correct? (I'm new to XRs and only confused because he said "kickstart")

I can see "kick stand" in the post but not "kickstart".  What am I missing?  :confused:

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ScottRNelson said:

I can see "kick stand" in the post but not "kickstart".  What am I missing?  :confused:

Long day at work, miss-reading dirt bike posts.... and its only Monday! my bad

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, XR650L_Dave said:

does that make the starter button live all the time as well.............................even in gear while running?

If not will it shut off the headlight when pushing the starter button (as it does now when starting the bike)

or will it run the starter AND turn off the headlight at 65 mph ...............YIKES

1 hour ago, EarthCruzn said:

does that make the starter button live all the time as well.............................even in gear while running?

If not will it shut off the headlight when pushing the starter button (as it does now when starting the bike)

or will it run the starter AND turn off the headlight at 65 mph ...............YIKES

It means the starter button will crank the engine in neutral or in gear, regardless of kickstand position, and that the engine will get spark also regardless of same.

I don't think it will affect the headlight, it'll still turn off.

I regard it as a bypass test or a way to get home if something breaks, but I also ride older street bikes where there aren't much in the way of safeties so wouldn't find the situation weird.

• Like 1

I am with ya,...……. would have been easier to put 2 steps to active the start button...………..instead of three ways to stop it;

from the consumers part...…….. not the lawyers view.