Should I persist on Crf250r in woods or buy a trail bike?

So I’m a beginner and have taken my 2010 Crf250r in the woods 3 times now I had no idea how they were setup and how they ride, and each time I’m just really not enjoying it like I once did Riding little bikes when I was younger, I feel like it’s just a constant battle to get the thing to not crash with me on it and I just have no confidence on it. Hill climbs and downhill scare the shit out of me becuase the bike can be so unpredictable and tall I’m 5’10 but almost tippy tippy toed on it. I’m always stalling it in the hardest places and just starting the thing is a pain. Hill climbs are almost painful with how firm and jumpy it is. On dirt roads I’m not even going that fast and it’s reving like crazy it always feels like it needs another gear. The bike seems like all or nothing you have to be on the throttle pretty hard to do hill climbs and it’s just not fun for me and throws me around heaps I just want something I can lug in a low gear. I’m doing hill climbs in 2nd or 3rd

not to mention how many times I stall the bike on basic stuff. Should I add flywheel and try that or just sell it and get a proper trail bike like a wr250f etc?

its really just putting me off riding all together I’m just not having fun

Clean the bike up list it for sale and by you a woods bike MotoX bikes just don't cut it in the woods unless! You want to lay out some serious cash to make it woods worthy (SOME WHAT)!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HairyTrails said:

So I’m a beginner and have taken my 2010 Crf250r in the woods 3 times now I had no idea how they were setup and how they ride, and each time I’m just really not enjoying it like I once did Riding little bikes when I was younger, I feel like it’s just a constant battle to get the thing to not crash with me on it and I just have no confidence on it. Hill climbs and downhill scare the shit out of me becuase the bike can be so unpredictable and tall I’m 5’10 but almost tippy tippy toed on it. I’m always stalling it in the hardest places and just starting the thing is a pain. Hill climbs are almost painful with how firm and jumpy it is. On dirt roads I’m not even going that fast and it’s reving like crazy it always feels like it needs another gear. The bike seems like all or nothing you have to be on the throttle pretty hard to do hill climbs and it’s just not fun for me and throws me around heaps I just want something I can lug in a low gear. I’m doing hill climbs in 2nd or 3rd

not to mention how many times I stall the bike on basic stuff. Should I add flywheel and try that or just sell it and get a proper trail bike like a wr250f etc?

its really just putting me off riding all together I’m just not having fun

I actually know someone who bought the same bike as you for their first woods bike. They also HATED it. They ended up buying a Husqvarna TE 300 and they love it. 

Why, sounds like you might be looking for a KTM Freeride 250r......

Light (210 lbs wet)✔️

Low seating✔️

Lugs well in low gears ✔️

Climb hills in 1st or 2nd or 3rd ✔️

Will not intimidate a beginner✔️

This bike is spectacular. I have gone up hills in 2nd and the bike goes on even though it sounds like its idling. I am a beginner. I ride through knee high grass and boggy marshes at walking speed and don't put a foot down when doing so, and this is my first true off road bike. Chances are if you ride this bike, in most riding, you won't even need to be anywhere close to WoT.

I was in a similar situation as you until I bought the Freeride, a bike made specifically for the kind of riding you have in mind.

Edited by freeride250r

Yes, you bought the wrong bike for the riding you are doing.

But all is not lost.  Like others said, clean it up, sell it, and buy a purpose built off-road / trail bike.  

• Like 1

Is a 2010 crf250r drastically different than a 2007 yz250f? I ride woods all the and don't think the yz250f is that bad. Are they really different or am I just too accustomed to riding MX bikes in the woods? Makes me wonder how much I would really appreciate a true woods bike.

And lack of e-start and a high strung motor that is all top end and gearing that is unsuited to woods riding.

MX bike for MX.

Endure bike for enduro.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jimwil1 said:

The biggest problem is the stiff suspension

It’s stiff but not unbearable, the gear ratios is more annoying to me than the suspension. 

2 hours ago, Zinergy said:

Is a 2010 crf250r drastically different than a 2007 yz250f? I ride woods all the and don't think the yz250f is that bad. Are they really different or am I just too accustomed to riding MX bikes in the woods? Makes me wonder how much I would really appreciate a true woods bike.

I don’t know but the EFI would make a huge difference, also I’m in Australia and where I ride the terrain is just really rocks and clay, makes for hard terrain and we have a lot of hill climbs 

If that bike is a motocross bike for sure sell it and buy a trail bike. Huge difference. Mainly in the power delivery and ease of riding for woods. Trail bikes usually have a broad power band and soft suspension that works well. Also nice light clutches that works for slipping and overall just built for riding off-road. Tires will also be better most likely and gearing. 

Yep, sell it and get the RIGHT bike.

This seems to be a common thing....why on earth does everyone think a bike made for going flat out around a prepped wide track will be good for shitty tight low speed stuff? :confused:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DEATH_INC. said:

Yep, sell it and get the RIGHT bike.

This seems to be a common thing....why on earth does everyone think a bike made for going flat out around a prepped wide track will be good for shitty tight low speed stuff? :confused:

been there done that many times insisting that one may be better than the other (some were!). But then I rode a Beta 250RR and renounced my old ways and sold off my Japanese bikes and now have a Beta 300RR and a KTM 300 EXC. Really makes trail riding much more enjoyable this way. :ride: