04 KTM 200sx starting issues

My 200sx starts but doesn't  want to run. It had been sitting for about a year or so. I drained the old gas and replaced with new.  Drained the carb.  Kicked and kicked but wouldn't start with or without choke. Didn't sound like it even wanted to start.  Pulled the plug, cleaned it and verified that I WAS getting spark. pulled the air cleaner, used some starting fluid and it fired up within a couple kicks. But it seemed to  only run until the starting fluid was used up.  I could throttle it and it would rev but only a couple seconds and then it seemed like it was out of gas and would shut off. I could kick it again but it will only start with starting fluid.  Removed the carb, did not see any debris, jet was not clogged. While the carb was off, I filled the bowl back up with gas, twisted the throttle but I saw no gas flowing from the carb.  I don't know a lot about 2 stokes but I would think fuel should flow when you twist the throttle correct? Any help is appreciated.

3 hours ago, rokkit100558 said:

My 200sx starts but doesn't  want to run. It had been sitting for about a year or so. I drained the old gas and replaced with new.  Drained the carb.  Kicked and kicked but wouldn't start with or without choke. Didn't sound like it even wanted to start.  Pulled the plug, cleaned it and verified that I WAS getting spark. pulled the air cleaner, used some starting fluid and it fired up within a couple kicks. But it seemed to  only run until the starting fluid was used up.  I could throttle it and it would rev but only a couple seconds and then it seemed like it was out of gas and would shut off. I could kick it again but it will only start with starting fluid.  Removed the carb, did not see any debris, jet was not clogged. While the carb was off, I filled the bowl back up with gas, twisted the throttle but I saw no gas flowing from the carb.  I don't know a lot about 2 stokes but I would think fuel should flow when you twist the throttle correct? Any help is appreciated.

Have you verified that the gas is flowing from the tank to the carb ?

Gas won’t flow through a carb unless it’s got an acceleration pump of some sort of the engine isn’t running. Carbs work on the principle of the air creating vacuum to pull fuel through. If you want to test this, pull the carb and put it in front of a blower. Have a fire extinguisher handy.

I’d clean the carb thoroughly by a soaking or just replace all the jets. Apparently a pine sol soak works.

Do as kxrob says and confirm fuel flows out of the gas tank too.

Just clean the carb.  You let it sit with gas in it.  Now the jets are likely clogged.  

Hey appreciate all the replies.  Yes gas is flowing from the tank to the carb. Will try replacing the jets.

Your bike is done, better just sell it to me. :thumbsup:

as mentioned above, get new jets. That's the cheapest and easiest place to start. 

If it is an SX with 39-40mm bore, and your ambient temps are what... 70-80F in FL this time of year?  Start with a 48-50 PJ.  Mine get harder starting if I miss my pilot or air screw setting a bit.

Agree probably gummed up carb, but you should also check your reeds. They are a major cause of 2 strokes not starting well.

• Like 1

Poldies4 make me an offer I can't refuse.  Weather is great in Fl right now lol.  Dernhumpus thanks for the info. 7Tktm will definitely check the reed valves.  All replies are appreciated!

Also make sure the air screw is at least 2 turns out from closed. ( if that makes sense) if the carb is not getting the right mix of air and idle adjustment, it will not start or stay running

Did you turn the gas on? I mean I hate to start so basic but it sounds like you're not getting fuel.