2014 yz250f...no antifreeze

I am looking at buying a 2014 yz250f used. Only has 20 hours and beer ridden that hard. I was looking at the bike and took the antifreeze cap off and couldn’t see any. Should I be worried about this or is there a more simple reason or fix?

7 minutes ago, Cole_Wink said:

I am looking at buying a 2014 yz250f used. Only has 20 hours and beer ridden that hard. I was looking at the bike and took the antifreeze cap off and couldn’t see any. Should I be worried about this or is there a more simple reason or fix?

run away as fast as you can especially because its a four stroke could be up for a lot of work 

• Like 2

run away as fast as you can especially because its a four stroke could be up for a lot of work 

I read it’s a common issue but I don’t know if it’s a leak in the engine, if it all came out of the overflow, or even if they put much in. Owner said they never messed with it.

3 minutes ago, Cole_Wink said:

I read it’s a common issue but I don’t know if it’s a leak in the engine, if it all came out of the overflow, or even if they put much in. Owner said they never messed with it.

was there any leaks around the head gasket?

• Like 1

I don’t really know for sure honestly. Just know there wasn’t any antifreeze in the tank and read the sometimes had issues with that. Do you know how I can check if it’s leaking or if it just needs antifreeze?

Also if it leaking internally would It also leak on the outside. (If it was leaking internally could I see it from the outside)

It obviously came out somewhere and the current owner has been riding it low , as he told you he never checked it.  I wonder if the oil has ever been checked or changed.

it had to be filled up at one stage so it definitely needs it, but the question is why is it gone was the head gasket blown through and burning it internaly was the hoses leaking or was the mechanic an apprentice and didn't fill it up at the shop its hard to say until the cause is found

It obviously came out somewhere and the current owner has been riding it low , as he told you he never checked it.  I wonder if the oil has ever been checked or changed.

He said that he did have the oil changed

2 minutes ago, JoeRC51 said:

thats right like i said someone who lacks knowledge to undo a cap and fill up till its full wouldnt know how to do anything else i would run away as soon as i saw it unless the bike was really cheap to compensate

• Like 1

Just now, Cole_Wink said:

2800 and I could Probly get it a little cheaper

where are you US or Aus

Just now, 2strkPINGAS said:

where are you US or Aus

not sure on prices over there

not sure on prices over there

Seems like an overall reasonable bike minus the antifreeze issue.

US

yeah sorry im no help now but thats abit on the expensive side where i am from $3936.1 AUD

Up to you mate i wouldn't touch it because even if you think it is cheap It has NO coolant 

gotta counter in the cost for top end Piston, valves, rockers, cam and possibly more in other words engine could be on its way out

3 minutes ago, 2strkPINGAS said:

yeah sorry im no help now but thats abit on the expensive side where i am from $3936.1 AUD

Edited by 2strkPINGAS
  • Like 1

I’m hoping that bringing up the whole antifreeze thing should help get him down on his price. Then I gotta hope it’s not a serious issue

2 minutes ago, 2strkPINGAS said:

Up to you mate i wouldn't touch it because even if you think it is cheap It has NO coolant 

gotta counter in the cost for top end Piston, valves, rockers, cam and possibly more in other words engine could be on its way out

automatically assume the bike needs more than what you think it does  because if it needs less than what you thought you wont be as upset haha

• Like 2

automatically assume the bike needs more than what you think it does  because if it needs less than what you thought you wont be as upset haha

Haha that’s one way I guess

Haha that’s one way I guess

your choice mate there is always another bike around the corner

• Like 1