? Ride whoops in the Jersey Pine Barrens

Just recently rode my first Enduro.  Riding Beta 300RR.  I need some advice on riding those deep, single track whoops in the pine barrens.  I was taking them in second gear and using my bike like a rocking chair (slow and steady).  If I quickened my pace a bit, my bike would case on the next whoop and get upset. I was afraid to really speed up in the tight trails with short sight lines to skim the tops of the whoops because the trail would suddenly turn; and I didn't want to hit a tree!

How are you A and B riders so fast in these sections.  What's your technique?

Thanks for the advice!

Just recently rode my first Enduro.  Riding Beta 300RR.  I need some advice on riding those deep, single track whoops in the pine barrens.  I was taking them in second gear and using my bike like a rocking chair (slow and steady).  If I quickened my pace a bit, my bike would case on the next whoop and get upset. I was afraid to really speed up in the tight trails with short sight lines to skim the tops of the whoops because the trail would suddenly turn; and I didn't want to hit a tree!
How are you A and B riders so fast in these sections.  What's your technique?

Thanks for the advice!

They’re that fast cuz it’s not their first enduro they’ve been riding a very very long time and many hours. So in short ride a lot from what I gather it’s a timing thing. I’ve seen pro mx guys that can just skip across off the back tire but as the other guy said “you have to commit to the throttle” he’s right. Any guy that’s flowing through them “so fast” is going FAST aka “committing to the throttle” but there’s a lot of timing to it as well and that comes with experience/reps

14 hours ago, G 9.5 said:

Commit to the throttle.........

just another area of my life impacted by fear of commitment 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AlphaWolf said:

They’re that fast cuz it’s not their first enduro they’ve been riding a very very long time and many hours. So in short ride a lot from what I gather it’s a timing thing. I’ve seen pro mx guys that can just skip across off the back tire but as the other guy said “you have to commit to the throttle” he’s right. Any guy that’s flowing through them “so fast” is going FAST aka “committing to the throttle” but there’s a lot of timing to it as well and that comes with experience/reps

Thanks for your opinion on what others do.  Appreciate it!

whoops are tricky to learn because most riders panic and their fear of crashing slows them down when thats the exact opposite of how to master them.  you cant feel what its like to skim them when you are in 2nd gear and goosing the throttle up and down like newlyweds. the only way to understand is to simulate the entry speed and maintain speed in a higher gear. the purpose of the higher gear is to bring engine rpm down so that the response to throttle is not as abrupt and violent. when you are in lower gears trying to time the whoops or roll them you use excess energy and wear yourself out because throttle response is abrupt and violent. you have to trust your ability and try to attack whoops as aggressive as possible and use 3rd or 4th gear. try to keep head up looking forward,and not downward,and body position back and try not to reduce throttle when going through. grip the bike with your legs and dont try to steer or apply brakes or chop throttle. okay to rev motor but try not to chop or reduce throttle. the folks that suggest commitment is critical to whoops are exactly correct, i would only add that practice will help, but you will have to scare yourself a bit before you can gain any confidence in the sand whoops. the good news is sand is soft and hurts less than rocks or trees, but crashing is part of the learning process. you have to learn the sensation conditioning to the speed and frequency of sand whoops. there is no easy way to learn until you force yourself out of your speed/sensation comfort zone and scare yourself to the next level of competence. try to learn in controlled area with a few small double or triple whoops with a "chicken bypass" (easy exit) and work your way to larger and longer and deeper whoop sections. if you ride pine barrens you will want to learn how to ride sand whoops well....or its gonna be a long day. good luck to you

• Like 1

just another area of my life impacted by fear of commitment 

I feel ya brother 37 and never married prolly never will

All washed up is right. Ride a gear higher and practice on whoops that aren’t in tight trail. On a 300 you can definitely afford to lug a higher gear 3rd or 4th. 

Edited by SeanM327

Whoops in SNJ event?  No way! 

All good advice so far, like all other aspects of riding the more time you put into riding them the easier they will become.  For the AVG guy high speed skimming for long periods is a dangerous proposition, uneven whoop spacing or height could cause a crash in a hurry.  Find a good section to practice and work on building speed little by little.

thanks for the strong advice.  ill put it into practice