Oil filter cap

One has to go to a dealer, to have them order the cap for you.  

Did you break or lose the o-ring that goes onto the back of the oil filter cap?  I can see a black o-ring sticking out but it should NOT be sticking out like that and instead, should be stuck, like a condom, onto the back of the oil filter cap.  

I had let my o-ring fall into the oil one time and didn't notice it and my oil filter cap leaked.  I ordered two new o-rings, one for a spare, and always make sure to not lose the o-ring when changing oil filters as it is easy for it to slip off and get lost.  

• Helpful 1

It was super loose as soon as I pulled the cap... it also had a little oil on the side of the case either from the fill hole or possibly the hose connection, I haven’t been able to say for sure where the leak was starting yet... I also had found a bolt missing from the sub frame, so the first 3 hour ride was a bit eventful 

0F10F764-52D9-4192-BFA3-269BFA8278DC.png

Edited by Skelly562
Pic of leak

Man, that ain't right, certainly not for a bike with only 3 total hours on it.  

Did your filter cap have the o-ring on the back of it? 

I wonder if your fill cap has the o-ring under it as well?  Did Beta forget to install all the o-rings on your bike?  

It needs a $2.58 (not expensive) skinny little o-ring on the back of the filter cap or the cap will leak.  

You may have lost the o-ring for the oil fill cap as well.  Order spares when you buy them.  

You are lucky that you are in CA as you can probably get the parts a lot faster.  I do think that my dealer had the oil filter o-rings in stock and I bought 2/3 that they had.  

It was super loose as soon as I pulled the cap... it also had a little oil on the side of the case either from the fill hole or possibly the hose connection, I haven’t been able to say for sure where the leak was starting yet... I also had found a bolt missing from the sub frame, so the first 3 hour ride was a bit eventful 
0F10F764-52D9-4192-BFA3-269BFA8278DC.thumb.png.37496c251516a6a3648cf09eecbb5f8f.png

Contact your dealer immediately, there should be a warranty one waiting for you in 3 days!!

Talked with beta they said they would send me the parts, hopefully they come fast so I can make the ride this weekend. The guy from beta was really helpful he’s even sending me the missing bolt from the subframe and the o ring so the bike should be good as new because it is lol thanks for the help guys 

Yea I would have been a little happier not to have all these issues with a brand new bike, but hopefully this will be the extent of it, my old yz only needed the oil and fluids done and it was ready to ride every time but I really wanted a beta and so far I’m pretty happy 

• Like 1

I agree, having stuff happen to a brand new bike, in 2018, is not the way to be starting out for sure.  

I remember when my bike was new as my 2017 was my very first brand new bike.   I had found that the coolant hose under the exhaust header was touching the header.  There was also coolant leaking from the fill-side radiator that I had to double clamp to fix.  The green cap under the fuel tank cap fell off into the gas tank.  It was also not a good way to start off with a brand new bike.  Then a couple of months later, when trying out the kickstarter, it would not spring back to the resting position-in for warranty.  

Hopefully you will have some great times with the bike from here on out.  I'm looking forward to the 32 minutes until I leave and get to ride home from work, all 5.5 miles.  

One of my Bro's bought a brand new '17 Beta a year ago.  It had a host of "build quality" issues.  Mostly pinched and misplaced o-rings....  Missing piece here and there.  Now we all know that is unacceptable...But he was very well taken care of by Beta customer service.  (unlike KTM, who knows that they have a captive customer base and seem to care less)

• Like 1