Left out small oil filter o ring

So changed the oil today and realized I did not replace the o ring between the filter and engine. 

Am I doomed to have my bike size and toss me over the handlebars?

If I pull filter to replace it will all oil drain from engine and frame?.... Messy

TIA

Mike

1 hour ago, Michael Simi said:

So changed the oil today and realized I did not replace the o ring between the filter and engine. 

Am I doomed to have my bike size and toss me over the handlebars?

If I pull filter to replace it will all oil drain from engine and frame?.... Messy

TIA

Mike

So lean the bike on a wall, with a oil pan under the filter housing, crack open the housing and let the oil fall into the oil pan.  Remedy the o-ring situation by removing the oil filter and fitting the o-ring then refitting the filter. Check the oil level and top up as required (via the correct procedure).  It might not hurt to pray to the god of motorcycles that you have not done any damage to the engine by running with no o-ring.  I trust that you have not done thousands of miles this way.

Thanks. Bike has only been run for a few minutes to check oil level. I realized my mistake right away. 

Will correct it tomorrow before heading out to some trails. 

Mike

Edited by simimi
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, simimi said:

Thanks. Bike has only been run for a few minutes to check oil level. I realized my mistake right away. 

Will correct it tomorrow before heading out to some trails. 

Mike

I think you will be fine.  

Just changed the oil/filter on mine after it was stolen/recovered. Not only did it not even have the o-ring in (so must've been missing when I bought it), but the oil filter drain plug below the oil filter was also missing. Still starts first time and runs fine - though I guess time will tell!

• Like 1