New Owner, New to forums

Hello everyone, I'm Patrick I just bought a 18 Suzuki DRZ400sm. This is my first street bike but I have been riding motocross for 22 years. I've owned a CRF80, CR80, CRF250 and an 04 CRF450 which I recently just sold. 

New to the Suzuki line but am excited to ride. I've already purchased some leds for the blinkers and rear tail light. Riding today I've noticed I'm running pretty high rpms at 70 and was wondering what size sprockets you guys are running for better top end vs stock size. Also plan on a new muffler and rejetting. What have you guys done for a little more power?

31 minutes ago, O'Rourke Patrick said:

Hello everyone, I'm Patrick I just bought a 18 Suzuki DRZ400sm. This is my first street bike but I have been riding motocross for 22 years. I've owned a CRF80, CR80, CRF250 and an 04 CRF450 which I recently just sold. 

New to the Suzuki line but am excited to ride. I've already purchased some leds for the blinkers and rear tail light. Riding today I've noticed I'm running pretty high rpms at 70 and was wondering what size sprockets you guys are running for better top end vs stock size. Also plan on a new muffler and rejetting. What have you guys done for a little more power?

Welcome - the 3x3 MOD (airbox hole cut 3x3 inches) this goes with your new free flow exhaust and jetting to suit. A JD jet kit is a good way of getting the right jetting without the trial and error that might be associated with just buying jets.

I, like you, have been dirt riding for quite some time. I was a little miffed at how the SM went compared to other dirt oriented bikes (400cc and 450cc) that I had owned / own. Comparing the drz400sm to the last DRZ400e that I owned I realised that there is quite a performance difference between the models.  The FCR carburetted DRZ400e is still sold in this part of the world .  The difference came down to cams and carb (long and short).  I fitted fuel injection, a story for another day, but an FCR carby and a set of hot cams brings the performance back to what I was expecting from a good 400cc dirt bike.  The carb is a bit pricy - I'd do it to a new bike though and cams are just the icing on the cake - letting the engine rev-out a bit more freely.

there is a great resource for knowledge here thanks mainly to @Erik Marquez it can be found in the FAQ section

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/forum/215-drz400-faq/

• Like 2

As mentioned above an FCR carburetor makes by far the most drastic change in power and response vs stock. From that point on everything else alone just subtly increases it. Once everything is summed up, pipe, carb, cams, bigbore the increase is quite substantial.

If you go the FCR route I strongly recommend that you purchase brand new from either Thumpertalk, Sudco or Frank's MX Parts. Preferably Thumper Talk so Bryon can afford to keep the lights on. You can get lucky sometimes with used FCR's and find a diamond but there are a lot of units with worn bodies that will cause issues that jetting can't resolve.

Another more budget friendly option is the 40mm CV carburetor from the KLR650. It's response my not be as sharp as a FCR but the larger diameter will make similar overall horsepower.

Welcome. 15/41 is a typical street sprocket set up. Depending on your rear tire size you'd be around 6,800 rpm at 70 mph with this set up. Going to a 15/39 would drop that by a little over 300 rpm.

I would put a 16T on the front, which will drop the rpm a little more than the 39 and then you have the option of also slapping on the 39 if you want taller yet. And with a few power mods should pull it well.

So with the 16 tooth sprocket in the front would I have to buy a new chain as well? I live in Hawaii where top posted speed is no more than 60 but I want to 70 with lower rpms and not risk too much torque loss. So from what you guys are saying I could start with a 16t and 41t and get a little lower rpm? Anybody from Hawaii with it geared a certain way they prefer for this area?

Edited by O'Rourke Patrick
Needed

By going up to a 16t will make it a dog taking off but get you your lower rpms , it just won't pull it very easy much above 75mph in stock form, especially in the winds you guys get .This is why many like me put in a new gearset that widens the tranny spacing so the rpm are dropped way down , heck I don't shift into 5th until 60 and that's short shifting really , but yet 1st is low and snappy . Issue is you also need to do a big bore at min to pull them .

It sounds like you'll be best with the 3x3 and a carb upgrade (preferably exhaust ). The CVK is a cheap option to get roughly 90% of the fcr benefit .

PM sent for another option .

I'm just trying to go for the cheapest upgrades right now, sprockets and chain of I have too. When i get a little more money I'll look into muffler and jets and possibly this carb your talking about. I don't think I'll do any internals yet, this bike being brand new.  

Will the stock chain work with the 16t sprocket?

I'm looking into sets but can't find one with 16/39 and chain.

Edited by O'Rourke Patrick

16/39 would be dull to ride. As a rule of thumb, every chance of one tooth on the front is about the same as 3 teeth on the rear. Moreover, when changing the front sprocket, if not done correctly, you could invite trouble down the line. If you are new to bikes and bike maintenance, give the 15/39 a try and then decide if you need to go further.

• Like 1

I have enough experiance with bike maintenance having done mx for many years, but seeing as how the rear would be easier to change and I can just get rid of a link if necessary I'll look into that route first.

Lowering your highway rpm will take away some of your low end torque. I debated re-gearing mine but decided the factory 15/41 was likely the best compromise. I feel like 60-65 is the comfortable sweet spot for cruising with the stock gears. I’m about 5,280 feet higher elevation than you though so your mileage may vary.

Also, it might seemed wound a little tight to you but there’s still plenty of usable rpm above where you’re cruising. I’ve run mine up to about 95 mph a couple of times. Do that once and suddenly you’ll see the rpms at 65 really aren’t that bad.

Good luck.

R

1 hour ago, ray1970 said:

Lowering your highway rpm will take away some of your low end torque. I debated re-gearing mine but decided the factory 15/41 was likely the best compromise. I feel like 60-65 is the comfortable sweet spot for cruising with the stock gears. I’m about 5,280 feet higher elevation than you though so your mileage may vary.

Also, it might seemed wound a little tight to you but there’s still plenty of usable rpm above where you’re cruising. I’ve run mine up to about 95 mph a couple of times. Do that once and suddenly you’ll see the rpms at 65 really aren’t that bad.

Good luck.

Really you've gone up to 95 on stock gears? I'm still breaking it in I haven't wound it out much. I won't be hitting 95 anytime soon but just from the sound at 70, Im not sure how of high i could go with it.

Really you've gone up to 95 on stock gears?

Twice so far. The first time it registered 96 on the speedometer and the second time it was 95. Not sure if the speedometer is accurate or not but it’s all I have to go by. My wife was following me on her bike on my second run and when we stopped afterwards I asked her how fast we were going and she said “about 95” which is what I saw so apparently both bikes were showing pretty much the same speed. My bike is jetted and piped but otherwise stock. I weigh about 160 and was ducked as low as I could to reduce wind drag. 95 or so is all it would do. Just wouldn’t pull beyond that but it wasn’t on the rev limiter.

For the record, I only tried those two times to find the top speed. Mostly because where I ride the posted highway speeds are 75 or 80 and I just wanted to know what to expect if I need to make a pass on the highway.

I have enough experiance with bike maintenance having done mx for many years, but seeing as how the rear would be easier to change and I can just get rid of a link if necessary I'll look into that route first.
16 front should fit without muckking with the chain.
To me the front is quicker and easier to change than the rear. I leave the cover off, don't use loctite, simple breaker bar, loosen axle and sproket nut, change sproket. 10 minutes once you get the hang of it
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info guys, I'll think I'll just try out a 16t and see what happens. I'm also looking at led or hid options for the headlight. I've read it's a h4 size and the cyclone 3800 seems to be preferred. This being an 18 model I haven't found a lot of information pertaining to this year exactly but it's probably close to the last couple years right?

Thanks for the info guys, I'll think I'll just try out a 16t and see what happens. I'm also looking at led or hid options for the headlight. I've read it's a h4 size and the cyclone 3800 seems to be preferred. This being an 18 model I haven't found a lot of information pertaining to this year exactly but it's probably close to the last couple years right?
Not just close to.....exactly the same.
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 8:55 PM, O'Rourke Patrick said:

I've had my SM up to 95, it's great in the twisty canyons and I repeatedly overtake a 1200 cc bike !!! I have FCR39, full Yosh, 3x3 mod, but with stock cams, and I'm a little lighter than most of the guys here !!!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ali_prazolam said:

I've had my SM up to 95, it's great in the twisty canyons and I repeatedly overtake a 1200 cc bike !!! I have FCR39, full Yosh, 3x3 mod, but with stock cams, and I'm a little lighter than most of the guys here !!!

I'm liking the overtaking part 👍.  Sports bike rider really get a bit pippy when you push them in the twisties on "Just" a 400cc.  I currently weigh in at about 79Kgs (174lb) which is perfect for my sustention setup on the road,  Possibly a little light for the off-road setup.

• Like 1