KTM 300 xc billowing clouds

I have a 2016 KTM 300 xc and recently on start up it would make a ton of white smoke. Maybe for a minute on start up after it's been sitting for a day plus but after the smoke clears up it's alright even if I kill the bike and start it a few minutes later. The reason I'm unsure of what exactly the issue is, is because we only started getting really cold temperatures recently usually 50-70 but the last few days it's been in the 40s. So is it because of possibly jetting that isn't correct for the temperature or is a coolant leak of some sort, is it possible coolant is leaking slowly leaking into the cylinder while it sits and the smoke becomes pronounced because it has collected? 

This is just the glorious 2 stroke letting everyone know its getting ready to rip 

ha I don't know why it does that either. I guess when you choke it, its getting all fuel and no air so has more to burn off. That combined with the same effect you get starting a car on a cold day? 

Edited by Dirt Rider 12345

17 minutes ago, allout48 said:

seems normal its a 2 smoker.

5 minutes ago, Dirt Rider 12345 said:

This is just the glorious 2 stroke letting everyone know its getting ready to rip 

ha I don't know why it does that either. I guess when you choke it, its getting all fuel and no air so has more to burn off. That combined with the same effect you get starting a car on a cold day? 

I mean I am running Castor 55:1 for maximum lubrication 😅

I agree, you should keep an eye on fluid levels.

"White" smoke usually indicates water/coolant leak. Light colored with a tinge of blue is oil related.

Where do you store your bike, outside or a shed?

Colder temps make a given jetting leaner, as the air is more dense.

And any condensation/moisture in the system expands 1700 times in volume when it turns from a liquid to a gas as it gets pumped thru and is exposed to the temperatures of the cylinder.

52 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

If you suspect that you’re losing coolant or transmission oil then why don’t you check their respective levels?

Good call I'll do that today since it's about time for a gear oil change anyways but as for coolant is can't see any when I open up the cap, I'll check the manual on how to judge the proper level though

Just now, Trailryder42 said:

Agreed. Just over the top of the core. Not filled all the way to the brim.

Just make sure you got both Radiators filled, couldn't figure out why I kept topping it off but would be low again after a couple of hours with no boil overs or apparent leaks. Had to fill to the connecting hose then lean it left and keep doing that till the level would stay consistent. Manual says 10mm above the fins

2 hours ago, Trailryder42 said:

I agree, you should keep an eye on fluid levels.

"White" smoke usually indicates water/coolant leak. Light colored with a tinge of blue is oil related.

Where do you store your bike, outside or a shed?

Colder temps make a given jetting leaner, as the air is more dense.

And any condensation/moisture in the system expands 1700 times in volume when it turns from a liquid to a gas as it gets pumped thru and is exposed to the temperatures of the cylinder.

I store my bike in my garage but it probably gets equally cold in there as it does outside, but I checked again just now and it looked alright, I realised why I got excessive smoking, I forgot to turn off my choke right after I started it and let did a warm up lap with it on so all that extra fuel/oil started burning up and combined with the cold colder than usual wether it makes sense why all the smoke but anyways I did an oil change, I checked the oil level screw and it seemed a little low since I had to tip my bike a tiny bit but that might just be oil that was still on the gears while I rolled it anyways, everything looks alright I used rotella 15w-40 and this is my second oil change, previous one was about 10 hours ago, most of the material was fine particles that you couldnt even feel but there wear a like two pieces were shavings even tho they were tiny, is this normal or should I start looking into a bottom end refresh?

IMG_20181022_134536.jpg

51 minutes ago, nobade said:

Totally normal. No worries until you find chunks.

Alright sounds good, I just had a traumatizing experience with a kx250f I bought where I noticed this ticking noise and as it progressed I went from thinking bad gas to valves, to timing chain only to find out that my cams and cam journals were no good and that was the end of the bike since it just wasn't worth the money to have the head redone and new cams. This being my first bike since then I've been maybe overly paranoid of every irregularities and noise I hear, and 2 strokes make alot of those lol but thanks

After a 250f you'll really get to appreciate the 2t. Simple and bulletproof.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MaxxRADD said:

Alright sounds good, I just had a traumatizing experience with a kx250f I bought where I noticed this ticking noise and as it progressed I went from thinking bad gas to valves, to timing chain only to find out that my cams and cam journals were no good and that was the end of the bike since it just wasn't worth the money to have the head redone and new cams. This being my first bike since then I've been maybe overly paranoid of every irregularities and noise I hear, and 2 strokes make alot of those lol but thanks

lol, I had a KX250F once too. Bike would barely start when I went to sell it. Took a good loss on it. Fragile motor to say the least. Contrast that with a 07 YZ250F that was raced, rebuilt, motor built up for racing (just before I bought it to ride trails), I put 160 hours on it and valves were still in spec. My KXF was a 2016. GARBAGE motors. Gotta admit, I'm leary of four stroke bikes now. Have two 300s in the garage as a precaution. :ride:

Edited by shrubitup

I see where you say it was the choke, but I thought I'd respond anyhow, just in case the problem persists. 

My Husaberg 2013 TE300 did something like that (very similar engine to your bike I think, mine shares a gasket kit with yours, # 55130099001).

There was billowing white clouds that seemed more like smoke than steam, didn't have any sort of weird sweet smell like coolant. They'd go away eventually and I was told it was normal, and I thought that it wasn't, a 1970s motocross starting line wasn't that smoggy! When I pulled the top end apart I saw transmission oil all over the bottom of the crank webs. Trans oil had been seeping through the seal as the bike was sitting around. Turned out to be a common problem that can occur pretty randomly in these bikes. I seem to recall some owners having it happen at pretty low hours (my bike had about 120 hours on it at the time).