Shut off engine: cam chain keeps spinning???

No clue what is happening in my freshly rebuilt motor! I shut the bike off after a short ride down the street. The bike was OFF, but something in the case was spinning, sounded like the cam chain was still going! It was in neutral, could that be why? Is this a common thing or did the builder leave off a bolt lol...

Thanks!

43 minutes ago, RacerAV said:

No clue what is happening in my freshly rebuilt motor! I shut the bike off after a short ride down the street. The bike was OFF, but something in the case was spinning, sounded like the cam chain was still going! It was in neutral, could that be why? Is this a common thing or did the builder leave off a bolt lol...

Thanks!

It's a 650L?

Maybe something for the starter drive?

It would be the strangest darn thing I ever saw.

Have you tried it again ? 

Yeah, I was really reluctant to start it up again, afraid to mess something up in there. I started it up and did the same thing but the sound did not come back. It went for maybe five or six seconds. Weird sound. But definitely a chain around the gear like sound.

11 hours ago, JoeRC51 said:

Well , the OP's been hiding in shame , I wonder if the bike was still rolling when he heard this chain sound.    ?

Not hiding in shame. Just busy with life.

the bike was sitting. Kickstand down. In neutral. I killed the engine and something inside kept moving. Sounded like a wet chain going around and around a gear. My first thought was something like a timing chain still spinning. Lasted for 5 seconds or more.

Waited a few minutes. It was bugging me. So went and started it again. Still in neutral. Waited couple min. Shut down. No sound.

just had the engine rebuilt by a reputable shop. Spend a few grand getting the bike up to speed. Now this. ?