Best Oversized Tank?

In the process of finding an oversized tank. I will be buying used as most used tanks you can find are in great shape and for half the cost vs new. I really like the Acerbis 3.2 tank but reading reviews via Rocky Mountain, most people using them on YZ's say the shrouds fit like crap. I want something that fits correctly and wont snag my pants or tear something off in a crash. What are some tank recommendations for the YZ? 

Edited by BigYZ2Smoker

A topic that has been debated many times. 

Acerbis, the only tank that give the seat no lift, but has a nutcracker neck. Also some claim you can reach the spark plug (I’ve hardly ever needed to with a properly jetted bike) 

E8EB24F3-1886-4655-B792-618EC1F79B0E.jpeg.142be402e89703440adb323af0adf0eb.jpeg

3E22E849-D119-478F-BA12-484604212DD1.jpeg.da1440fb370622f99de47d3e4b302729.jpeg

my personal favorite is the Zip Ty IMS for the ability to carry the fuel lower than the competition. 

50344648-9972-4FE0-8D80-FD23F3B2CD1B.jpeg.34a6dee267db47b426cf36eabc8af01f.jpeg

8C6F264E-091B-4488-8D8E-922562AB75B8.jpeg.2aaf333644ef70ac237e633ee3dfabf3.jpeg

360ECB67-AB5D-421E-A4FC-1D8C7454C244.thumb.jpeg.ee6c40b14e3f1b2c9e28e88344b32d51.jpeg

FC6639E3-08A3-4B37-A5BD-83CF0BC91681.jpeg.05dcc11c9a25280d2dd0c11f4d18d91c.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2 STROKE YZ DOC said:

BTW, that blue Acerbis is for sale. PM only

That tank does look like the ultimate nut buster. I really like the look of the tank on the white YZ. I regrettably sold the IMS 3.2 tank I got free with my YZ when I bought it rip... :facepalm:

18 minutes ago, 2 STROKE YZ DOC said:

Yes, and they make the ZipTy also. Same tank from 02-19. 

Great news, trying to find a Late model YZ250 right now. I had found one, something came up and missed out on it. 

Thinking goin back to my 'roots' on the YZ's again! 

I have a 3.2 gallon IMS on my KTM & love it! I chose IMS over Acerbis because the IMS has brass inserts for the screws & Acerbis uses screws directly into the plastic.

Black 1.jpg

Black 3.jpg

As noted this has been discussed many times.  In short, all the choices have significant problems in my opinion, so you want to choose by which will annoy you the least.  Remember the stock tank is 2.1 gallons which can even work for some hare scramble situations on a well jetted bike.  I have written at length before, but here is the short form of my review:

1. IMS:  A tank that is not too much wider than the stock tank, and holds more than enough gas for an eastern hare scramble event. Terrible fit and finish and quality control.  I had to cut the shrouds to fit.  I bought my new and it was full of plastic milling dust and other crap.  I had to block sand the petcock area twice to get it to  stop leaking, and it still does not fit quite right on my aluminum frame bike, as it quickly wears through the frame pads.  It seems to fit better on the steel frame bike.  

2. Acerbis:  Avoid if you want to have kids.  It does seem to have fewer quality complaints.  Also, it it only $187 new on Amazon.

3. Clarke:  I had on on my KTM about a decade ago.  Similar quality control issues to the IMS discussed above, but also some of the worst customer service I have ever experienced in any realm.  This was a long time ago so maybe things are better now.  I would rather bank at Wells-Fargo and get my TV from Comcast rather than buy another Clark product.

4. Zip Ty:  Never owned one but the lack of plug access is a deal breaker for me.  I ride 125s which need frequent tuning and seasonal adjustments for temperature.  I have to have plug access.  

I've had the Clarke 3.2 on my 250X for almost 3 years.  Yeah, the shrouds don't fit perfect but it's never caused me any grief and I didn't have to cut or mod anything to fit, just bend them a bit and I've never come close to snagging pants etc on them.  Other than that, no issues for me.  But maybe I just got a good one, as they seem to be a bit inconsistent.  Also, I got the Tusk aluminum cap (made specifically for the clarke tank) for mine which I highly recommend.

I can get the plug off with my Clarke. Shrouds do fit kind of janky, the trailing edges don't follow exactly the profile of the tank. But it isn't noticeable when riding. Also the rubber tank strap doesn't reach the lug or screw on the tank, so I just safety wire it. Compared to stock I don't think it lifts the seat up very much, but I don't have anything else to compare it to.

But like the OP I bought it used, might have got it right here (or eBay, can't remember).

It seems like nobody wanted to invest in new molds when the Al frame came out and that is why none of them fit exactly right.

Hope my pic loads:

c_Ec43KUYx5rifOSrLJXks23Gsk1jsOfVSP0WEPD

I've had a Clarke for a few years now. The seat doesn't lift, the strap fits, the shrouds fit. The cap cracked and I had to buy a Tusk aluminum cap.

yzClarke31yellow-L.jpgIMG_20161022_130440139-L.jpg

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On 10/24/2018 at 8:15 AM, Hick said:

I can get the plug off with my Clarke. Shrouds do fit kind of janky, the trailing edges don't follow exactly the profile of the tank. But it isn't noticeable when riding. Also the rubber tank strap doesn't reach the lug or screw on the tank, so I just safety wire it. Compared to stock I don't think it lifts the seat up very much, but I don't have anything else to compare it to.

But like the OP I bought it used, might have got it right here (or eBay, can't remember).

It seems like nobody wanted to invest in new molds when the Al frame came out and that is why none of them fit exactly right.

Hope my pic loads:

c_Ec43KUYx5rifOSrLJXks23Gsk1jsOfVSP0WEPD

You should buy the yellow tank too, it would look nice, maybe black excel rims too? Or silver?

• Helpful 1

24 minutes ago, Goon Rides said:

You should buy the yellow tank too, it would look nice, maybe black excel rims too? Or silver?

Thanks Goon. I've replaced the rim, but I don't have a more recent pic.

An aside on Hurricane Yellow YZ250s - it is hard to get the color right. I feel like the plastics you buy (I think those are polisport on mine) are more of a Suzuki yellow. I had to cut out the yellow portions of the graphics since they didn't match the plastic.

So I'm afraid to buy a Yellow tank because I don't trust that it will match the other plastic. If I keep it yellow I'm thinking of buying an 06 YZ450 yellow front fender and go black everything else with yellow hurricane graphics.

end threadjack

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 2strokeYardSale said:

I've had a Clarke for a few years now. The seat doesn't lift, the strap fits...

That's weird. Mine is about 1.5" too short, not even close to reaching.

Maybe they did change the mold.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hick said:

Thanks Goon. I've replaced the rim, but I don't have a more recent pic.

An aside on Hurricane Yellow YZ250s - it is hard to get the color right. I feel like the plastics you buy (I think those are polisport on mine) are more of a Suzuki yellow. I had to cut out the yellow portions of the graphics since they didn't match the plastic.

So I'm afraid to buy a Yellow tank because I don't trust that it will match the other plastic. If I keep it yellow I'm thinking of buying an 06 YZ450 yellow front fender and go black everything else with yellow hurricane graphics.

end threadjack

Do what you want to do, either way it will look killer man! Plastics look good!

• Helpful 1

3 hours ago, Hick said:

That's weird. Mine is about 1.5" too short, not even close to reaching.

Maybe they did change the mold.

Yah, for the yellow plastic injection. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1