One spark

I'm having an issue where my spark plug will give a single spark when I hit the button, and then nothing. If I let up on the button and try again it usually won't spark. If I turn the key off and on and try again, it will do the same thing.

I tried several plugs with the same result. I got out my multimeter to test things according to the manual, and I'm only getting a few volts (5-10 maybe) when testing the primary ignition coil. The manual suggests this is probably the CDI going bad. I don't have the 'peak voltage adapter' so I'm a little skeptical.

I also tested the resistance in the starter coil and this looked good.

Any advice?

Ignition coil would be my first guess for starters followed by the trigger coil/pulse generator . Testing some of these electrical components has been a crapshoot for me quite often . So many times a component tests ok , but under load or given a little heat and they don't work , other side , some things test out of range or supposedly bad, but have worked fine . Best I've found is swapping with known good or doing absolute best guess and buy likely culprit . I have bought some used off ebay from known reliable sellers and if it fixes either then buy new or just run with the used . Gotta get from reliable sellers that you know you trust , not just Slick the salesman though . I've built up a healthy supply of components over the years from so many brands/models that I can swap rather than test , depending what the component is , saves a lot of time .

Edited by jjktmrider

Failure of the ignition coil is extremely rare.  Failure of the CDI is even more rare if ever (assuming original Suzuki part. After market CDI are less reliable)

Failure if the stator is quite common. Almost without exception, an ignition problem is the stator.  As a rough check disconnect the 3 yellow wires (1 plug) that go to the rectifier/regulator (RR).  If the coils for the ignition are shorted to the coils that charge the battery, this may let the motor run.  If so, you have verified the stator is bad.  If there is no change, well the stator is probably still bad.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Noble said:

Failure of the ignition coil is extremely rare.  Failure of the CDI is even more rare if ever (assuming original Suzuki part. After market CDI are less reliable)

Failure if the stator is quite common. Almost without exception, an ignition problem is the stator.  As a rough check disconnect the 3 yellow wires (1 plug) that go to the rectifier/regulator (RR).  If the coils for the ignition are shorted to the coils that charge the battery, this may let the motor run.  If so, you have verified the stator is bad.  If there is no change, well the stator is probably still bad.

What He said ^^

15 hours ago, Noble said:

I just had a bike that was running , shut off , when restarted a couple minutes later it ran for 10 sec and shut off and wouldn't start again . After I took the plug out it would spark once or twice then stop, messing around and turning the key on to check for spark it would spark again a couple times then nothing . Put in a spare ignition coil I had from another bike and it fired up and has been running since . One of the few coils I personally had go out. The PO's symptoms matched almost to a T what I just had . Plus at least in the DR650's , trigger coils/pulse gens go out all the time so it's not out of the question , but I know drz's kill stators ,though usually running and dieing when hot .

Edited by jjktmrider

I replaced the CDI with one from eBay. I think that one is working, but now my bike won't rev past 7k rpm. It hesitates and backfires if I try to rev past there. Here's a video. Any ideas?

Still no progress. I tried a used oem CDI as well, and that didn't did the problem. I also checked the valve timing, and that seems fine. I'm at a lot for what else could cause this issue.