fe 250, 350, 450, 501 discuss?

so not looking to buy soon until I have experience under my belt but I have an idea of the kind of riding i do already, but the huskys are def under my sight. I eventually would like to get one. I know I am one to push myself; eventually I would like to get super technical: rock climbing, Steep hills, log jumping, etc

I currently have a klx250 for dedicated trails, but I do hop on the roads and go 70 MPH with it, but it takes forever for it to hit 70 mph...and it will NEVER hit 70 mph going uphill. I am perfectly comfortable going 70MPH with a thumper, as long as it feels safe and not wobbly and uneasy lol

I was eyeing the husky 350 since ive heard its a mean trail machine and can sustain 70 mph when needed (trail hopping) but then ive heard I might as well go with a 450 or 501 which is a better trail bike than a klx250 and can easily hit 70mph when needed. issue is, im mostly a trail guy. So I haul my bike to the trails but I do hit roads to hop on other trails then just ride back to my truck. ill prob be on the highway no more than 30 mins with breaks in between from trails

I prefer a better trail machine but capable on highways when needed. I sat on a 250 once and it was like WOAH super light...350 feels almost the same; not sure about the 450 or 501 opinions?

Edited by willc86

Just made a similar jump as you're thinking. Been on a WR250R for a while and wanted something lighter and more capable for trails.

You'll find even the FE 250 has enough power for your high speeds. The 350 has more than plenty - more than twice the power of the WR which is more than your KLX

It's your money but I'd recommend choosing one of the smaller ones if you're doing primarily singletrack. The 350, 450 and 501 have a LOT of power coming from a dualsport and the larger ones tend to feel heavier in the tight stuff.

I've had my 350 for a couple weeks now and I'm looking for a throttle tamer to put in while I get used to the new power and lightness...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, pumpernickelBrad said:

Just made a similar jump as you're thinking. Been on a WR250R for a while and wanted something lighter and more capable for trails.

You'll find even the FE 250 has enough power for your high speeds. The 350 has more than plenty - more than twice the power of the WR which is more than your KLX

It's your money but I'd recommend choosing one of the smaller ones if you're doing primarily singletrack. The 350, 450 and 501 have a LOT of power coming from a dualsport and the larger ones tend to feel heavier in the tight stuff.

I've had my 350 for a couple weeks now and I'm looking for a throttle tamer to put in while I get used to the new power and lightness...

wow thanks so much!!! i was thinking about the wr250, but still feel maybe i wont be happy with the power going to 70mph. but one thing I love about my klx250 is the throttle is so confidence inspiring.  

I was actually thinking the FE250 would be perfect for offroading for me, but not sure if it has that power to sustain 70 -75. Thanks so much for this!! I think I might go with the 250 or 350 in that case if the 250 has more power than the wr250 it would be the perfect choice for me.

so hows the 350 for you reaching 70 mph? does it feel as stable as the wr250?

Edited by willc86

We have a 2017 FE250 with a Factory 4.1 muffler. If you ride tight trail/single track forget the 450+ bikes. They feel too heavy even tho they are a couple of lbs heavier. If you ride single track expect to add $1500 worth of items just to be able to do it. These bikes run hot and adding a muffler not only makes the 250 a 250 but runs cooler. It's a must or at least a gutted can or end cap. Gearing is a must as they come 14/49 (FE250) and a swap to a 13t is a minimum. Tires, coolant, TPS setting, and protection will be next. Between the FE250 or FE350, I liked the 250 better. Felt less heavy and turned much better. Now if you have a state that lets you plate a off road bike get a 250xcf or a FX350. Cost would be the same and you start with a better base bike. All these bikes will run 70mph but not all day long.

A bike that’s going to do 70mph for more than a min and not bounce off the rev limiter isn’t going to be geared or the right bike for the kind of riding you mention you’d like to do. The best bike for real tech riding is a 250 or 300 2t and you aren’t going to like one at 70mph. A 350 will do 70 easy, but your gearing will be high for tight tech. You can’t have your cake and eat it too. Just my humble $.02.

Edit: and my 2018 TX 300 has a real plate on it. I walked in to the Ct. DMV and walked out with a plate

thanks for the input guys!! soo most of the trails in Colorado are 50in to full size truck trails. not many single track tbh. lol but at most I will need to hit 70mph for at least 30.. to be safe maybe 40 mins to trail hop or get back. i do know my klx250 is plenty of power to do most trails in Colorado but dang sucks dropping this bike and picking it up. so dang heavy esp on a hill. most tech trails are pretty open and not tight so I usually have plenty of work around or space for momentum. 

in Colorado, I can plate any bike, even a husky 2 stroke

again prob wont buy this bike anytime soon, maybe next year but just planning ahead and stuff. If a 350FE is better for higher end speeds, I think that is my idea bike. Even on my drz400 geared at 15/38 I can do most trails on 1st gear lol but im making my drz into an exploring bike. 

Go for the 501.  Reach over 100 on the highway, and crawl through the tight stuff with ease.  Its what I ride and I would never want any less power IMO.

14 hours ago, Devin9607 said:

Go for the 501.  Reach over 100 on the highway, and crawl through the tight stuff with ease.  Its what I ride and I would never want any less power IMO.

ha ha was actually looking to replace my drz400 with 3 bikes im thinking about down the road. Maybe the end of this year

husky 501, 701

or KTM 690 

I already know my kind of riding and need 2 bikes. One for trail only (but occasional street hops - suks some trails are 1 way and the only way back is hitting the highway) and one for exploring. 

can the 501 run 70 all day long or at that point get a 701. I sat on a 501 the other day and for being a big bore bike, im surprised how nimble and light it is! Saw a 501 going down a highway where people hit 80 MPH and was in shock. 

The 501 is really only a few lbs heavier than the 250. Essentially same bike, different engine. 

Depends on what you want to do but the 701 is pretty much ideal for 'exploring'. It's quite a bit heavier (like a lot) but that weight goes into things like a comfier seat and an engine that is built for long service intervals and smoother operating. I don't know what the 501 is like but the 350 has a bit of a buzz that I would hate on the hwy and both have a seat like a 2x4. 

If you can, ride them both and see which feels more like what you're looking for. If you're handy with a wrench, maybe checking/adjusting valves isn't an issue for you. If you've got the money to service the 501 and add some comfort bits, go for it

New 501’s will run 70-80 mph for extended periods with stock gearing, and reach top speed of 110 but,  I would gear it down slightly for off-road riding but still hit 100 if desired. 

I ride a KX 500, FX450, FE 501, and KTM 950 SE.  501 can do everything those bikes will do, Very good all around bike. 

I should note that the 501 requires a few mods to reach 110.  They come fairly choked up from the factory. 

Edited by Devin9607

thanks for the feed back all!! nah no need to hit 100 mph lol. certain roads though will make me hit 80 mph for about 20 mins (wish it was a 2 lane) 

:( most roads I can go 50 - 60mph except like 4 roads im thinking about 

man such hard choices but almost seems FE250 for trail riding and maybe the FE501 for exploring and just cruising around the city for local trails. 

18 minutes ago, willc86 said:

thanks for the feed back all!! nah no need to hit 100 mph lol. certain roads though will make me hit 80 mph for about 20 mins (wish it was a 2 lane) 

:( most roads I can go 50 - 60mph except like 4 roads im thinking about 

man such hard choices but almost seems FE250 for trail riding and maybe the FE501 for exploring and just cruising around the city for local trails. 

For a 4 stroke, I think a 350 is the ideal size for trail riding. I haven't ridden a fe250, but if it's anything like the FE350 I rode, it's going to be pretty corked up in stock form. The FE350 was still pretty slow in stock form, felt like a 250f...I can't imagine what a stock 250 would feel like. I'd plan on a programmable cdi or go with the FX if you want a 250. 

18 minutes ago, Sierra_rider said:

For a 4 stroke, I think a 350 is the ideal size for trail riding. I haven't ridden a fe250, but if it's anything like the FE350 I rode, it's going to be pretty corked up in stock form. The FE350 was still pretty slow in stock form, felt like a 250f...I can't imagine what a stock 250 would feel like. I'd plan on a programmable cdi or go with the FX if you want a 250. 

hmm i was reading the 501 is actually a few lbs more than the 250 lol. I might as well get a 501 and throw some d606 tires. and if i decide i need more technical gear ill just get a 2 stroke.

is the 501 maint heavy? change oil every 2 rides or so type of bike

5 hours ago, willc86 said:

hmm i was reading the 501 is actually a few lbs more than the 250 lol. I might as well get a 501 and throw some d606 tires. and if i decide i need more technical gear ill just get a 2 stroke.

is the 501 maint heavy? change oil every 2 rides or so type of bike

Yep. If you follow manual and do long days, oil change every two rides, valve check every four. 701 service is measured in thousands of km/mi

Realistically you can get away with far less frequent valve checks if you're not racing but who knows exactly?

I'd still service the oil and air filter often - it pretty cheap peace of mind

For a true dual sport bike, the 450/501 are tough to beat. If your'e going to try to hang with your buddies on 2-strokes in tight single track, the 250/350 would be better imho. 

21 hours ago, pumpernickelBrad said:

The 501 is really only a few lbs heavier than the 250. Essentially same bike, different engine. 

Depends on what you want to do but the 701 is pretty much ideal for 'exploring'. It's quite a bit heavier (like a lot) but that weight goes into things like a comfier seat and an engine that is built for long service intervals and smoother operating. I don't know what the 501 is like but the 350 has a bit of a buzz that I would hate on the hwy and both have a seat like a 2x4. 

If you can, ride them both and see which feels more like what you're looking for. If you're handy with a wrench, maybe checking/adjusting valves isn't an issue for you. If you've got the money to service the 501 and add some comfort bits, go for it

Total weight is near the same but riding "feel"weight is very different. The mass in the motor makes the bike not as agile as the smaller bores making it 30lbs heavier feel. Then the extra power makes controlling the bigger bikes in trails more demanding equals more tiring.

20 hours ago, Sierra_rider said:

FE250 felt much lighter then the 350 and handled better. Stock form any of the FE models need $$ thrown at them. Husqvarna doesn't make a FX250. If they did it would be their best seller rather then the 350. 250xcf is a great package for smaller riders especially if you plan to race. FX350 is a great all around bike, not as agile as the 250xcf but better useable power. Just got back from KTM and Yamaha demo rides. I liked the snap of the KTM but would take a FX450 over a FE any day. The money you save can go for the DS kit.

12 hours ago, 556er said:

For a true dual sport bike, the 450/501 are tough to beat. If your'e going to try to hang with your buddies on 2-strokes in tight single track, the 250/350 would be better imho. 

If you are going to use the bike in the woods a 350 is the better all around bike.

I woudlnt consider anything other then a 500 for street legal purposes after owining a 350excf and riding a 500excf. The 500 is where its at. Unless you live 5 mins away from the trail or have a road you need to take to connect trails, a plated 250-350 is a complete waste of time, you will not do any distance on it.

Otherwise get a truck and buy a FX/XCF, 250-450.

Edited by 240ZDAN

The 350 can do road riding when geared correctly for off road riding up to about 65mph comfortably. Anything higher than that is fine for short bursts but you feel like your damaging the engine if it’s prolonged.

Powerwise, the euro spec 350 is pretty dam good, even better when a rear pipe is fitted which gives it an almost perfect bottom end.

If I had to buy again I would strongly consider a 450 though (501 vibrate too much for me) as I weight about 115kg kitted so think my power to weight ratio could use a slight bit of help.

I’ve heard many great comments from smaller/older riders who have the fe250 and love the lightweight and ample power it provides.

Ultimately my post probably doesn’t help at all! The best thing you can try to do is ride others bikes to see what suits you. 300 2 strokes and 350 4 strokes are the best sellers for a reason thiugh

6 minutes ago, jamesw9404 said:

The 350 can do road riding when geared correctly for off road riding up to about 65mph comfortably. Anything higher than that is fine for short bursts but you feel like your damaging the engine if it’s prolonged.

Powerwise, the euro spec 350 is pretty dam good, even better when a rear pipe is fitted which gives it an almost perfect bottom end.

If I had to buy again I would strongly consider a 450 though (501 vibrate too much for me) as I weight about 115kg kitted so think my power to weight ratio could use a slight bit of help.

I’ve heard many great comments from smaller/older riders who have the fe250 and love the lightweight and ample power it provides.

Ultimately my post probably doesn’t help at all! The best thing you can try to do is ride others bikes to see what suits you. 300 2 strokes and 350 4 strokes are the best sellers for a reason thiugh

Would be very different IF KTM would let Husqvarna have a FX250!

8 hours ago, 240ZDAN said:

I woudlnt consider anything other then a 500 for street legal purposes after owining a 350excf and riding a 500excf. The 500 is where its at. Unless you live 5 mins away from the trail or have a road you need to take to connect trails, a plated 250-350 is a complete waste of time, you will not do any distance on it.

Otherwise get a truck and buy a FX/XCF, 250-450.

not true....for colorado theres a bunch of forest roads that you NEED a plate that connect trail to trail. i see a bunch of 2 strokes and 250s plated here for that reason