Checking over a used 4-stroke 2002 WR250f

Hey guys, I'm sure this a beat over topic, but I just picked up a 2002 wr250f up for $1200. Everything works on it. The main question is what should I check on the bike to be sure so the engine, valves piston or crank don't grenade on me. I'm pretty mechanical, just rebuilt an engine on an old willys mb.  I checked the valve clearances and they are all within spec. The guy who had it before me lived in Houston and only rode it on the track occasionally. The compression seems good. I don't believe the motor has ever been rebuilt, just new rings on the piston. He had the motor serviced and gone through, a couple years back. What kinds of things should I be aware of or look out for. I'm thinking about an top end engine rebuild when I get off for christmas break, but everything seems to be OK. 

Inspect the oil filter, unravel the element and look deep into each pleat.

Metallic debris may give an indication of the bottom end's health.

Thanks for the response, I am planning to take the head off and checking the shims, good idea. I think i have a buddy who had a leak down test kit, that would be beneficial. Havent changed the oil yet, it still looks preety new on the dip stick, but I'll take a look for any metal shavings. Thanks for the response.