'19 350 EXC-F, Reed cage detached!

My brand new bike has maybe 15-20 hours on it.  I ran a 100 mile dual sport last weekend in Coal Country and my bike needed a wash badly.  Upon removal of my air filter I found that the intake tract reed cage used for EPA/Noise Control had become detached and was loose inside the filter cage!  Ironically, about halfway through our ride day me and my partners all noticed that my "sewing machine motor" started sounding like a "real dirtbike" and the exhaust note was much stronger.  We chalked it up to the brand new muffler packing finally getting a little heated and beated up.  Now I am actually sure that the extra noise was because the reed cage was dislodged.  I did not notice a performance benefit, but maybe that is just because I did not notice...  All the parts were intact and I do not have any worry that my valvetrain/motor ingested any plastic, carbon, or metal.  It looks like it is something that is press-fit and glued.  I guess mine had a lack of, or faulty adhesive.  Funny--guys work real hard to cleanly remove this part from EXC-F's as part of "de-smog, de-restriction" mods. 

So my dealer is cool and they already ordered me a new intake tract as a warranty part.  But I would still like to solicit some opinions.

----- How much more lean, if any, will not having the reed cage installed make my fuel delivery?  

I am not yet ready to buck up for the de-smog and Vortex.  (and I really like the quiet)

IMG_4495.JPG

IMG_4496.JPG

IMG_4497.JPG

IMG_4498.JPG

IMG_4499.JPG

Edited by kevvyd

15 minutes ago, ar2stroke said:

So is the point behind the fiber reed cage in the air-box is for noise basically? Is there more pics of how this works?

The reeds prevent some engine noise from traveling back up and echoing around in the airbox.  Also reduces deceleration popping on this (very lean) engine tune.

I am told by my dealer that Roger DeCoster was at a dealer meeting where the EPA Noise regulations were being discussed and he told the KTM team of this "simple" solution to quiet the bikes down.-----DONE, and now is ours to live with.

I am attaching another pic, with the reeds somewhat re-installed, such that you can get a better grasp of what it would look like.  You're welcome.

UPDATE:  Today I ordered an emissions delete kit, Vortex, PMB end cap, and solenoid delete dongle from @Jeff aka Bolt.  What a great guy!  It's gonna be AWESOME!  Bye Bye sewing machine, hello dirtbike.......

IMG_4508.JPG

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kevvyd said:

The reeds prevent some engine noise from traveling back up and echoing around in the airbox.  Also reduces deceleration popping on this (very lean) engine tune.

I am told by my dealer that Roger DeCoster was at a dealer meeting where the EPA Noise regulations were being discussed and he told the KTM team of this "simple" solution to quiet the bikes down.-----DONE, and now is ours to live with.

I am attaching another pic, with the reeds somewhat re-installed, such that you can get a better grasp of what it would look like.  You're welcome.

UPDATE:  Today I ordered an emissions delete kit, Vortex, PMB end cap, and solenoid delete dongle from @Jeff aka Bolt.  What a great guy!  It's gonna be AWESOME!  Bye Bye sewing machine, hello dirtbike.......

IMG_4508.JPG

THANKS for the excellent picture and write up! 

?

Will you post the items in the kit as well?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kevvyd said:

IMG_4508.JPG

The bikes are amazing without that crap on them and a ECU tuned for a dirt bike. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, StevetheSnake said:

The bikes are amazing without that crap on them and a ECU tuned for a dirt bike. 

I know, right.....   I was holding out on that 1k upgrade.  After an 10k bike, tires, tubliss, Sicass kit, Rekluse, handguards, skid, etc.......the financial bleeding was severe.  I knew a Vortex was "requisite" (or rather the ultimate solution).   Was hoping to hold out till X-mas/Tax season to make the leap.  But since the lousy glue let the reed cage loose, 1/4 of the labor was done for me at no effort.  So I used that to justify moving forward earlier than planned~~LOL.  Also I always hated not being able to plug my exhaust during washes and transport.  Lastly we will wrap up East-Coast season pretty soon and I have about 5 more ride days planned---I want them to be stellar!

Edited by kevvyd
  • Like 1

Just now, kevvyd said:

I know, right.....   I was holding out on that 1k upgrade.  After an 10k bike, tires, tubliss, Sicass kit, Rekluse, handguards, skid, etc.......the financial bleeding was severe.  I knew a Vortex was "requisite".   Was hoping to hold out till X-mas/Tax season to make the leap.  But since the lousy glue let the reed cage loose, 1/4 of the labor was done for me at no effort.  So I used that to justify moving forward earlier than planned~~LOL.  Also I always hated not being able to plug my exhaust during washes and transport.  Lastly we will wrap up East-Coast season pretty soon and I have about 5 more ride days planned---I want them to be stellar!

You will have a hard time believing you rode the bike without it. I only broke mine in on a couple of rides to see how lousy it was then switched everything. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StevetheSnake said:

You will have a hard time believing you rode the bike without it. I only broke mine in on a couple of rides to see how lousy it was then switched everything. 

Same here,  I am at 12.9 hours. 4 rides. 213 miles, 2 oil/filter changes.  Funny thing is, I did not find it too lousy for the tight slow stuff we ride here.  (easy to stall cured by Rekluse--and my flame outs were not too frequent)  I am sure at more WOT environments the fuel deficit really gets ugly.  I can only imagine how good it will be as a properly fueled/timed motor.  

Edited by kevvyd
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 5:48 PM, kevvyd said:

IMG_4508.JPG

Does Jeff aka Bolt have a website to order parts?

2 hours ago, LTJ said:

Does Jeff aka Bolt have a website to order parts?

It’s best to message him here on Thumpertalk. He deals a lot over a phone call or text once he gives you his number. All the same kind of parts as the other suppliers. The good part is generally better deals and he can get you the right parts for your bike the first time. Some of the stuff gets confusing like Cycra hand guards and mounts, he knows the ones that fit also the better parts for your bike. The big suppliers just use short term people that don’t necessarily get to know much. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StevetheSnake said:

It’s best to message him here on Thumpertalk. He deals a lot over a phone call or text once he gives you his number. All the same kind of parts as the other suppliers. The good part is generally better deals and he can get you the right parts for your bike the first time. Some of the stuff gets confusing like Cycra hand guards and mounts, he knows the ones that fit also the better parts for your bike. The big suppliers just use short term people that don’t necessarily get to know much. 

Is he out of Ca so sales tax doesn't apply?

• 3 weeks later...