Mr Clean Magic erasers and your plastics

I have always been upset I could never clean the rub marks on my plastics particularly the areas that my boots or knee guards rub. No matter what cleaner I used it would never come off so I just figured that’s how it goes. The other day I was washing my bike and just happened to be also using magic erasers on another project. Turns out they work really well, couple of passes and plastic looks perfect. I’m betting repeat uses of the eraser will dull the finish/shine of the plastic but they will be clean again.

Before IMG_4317.JPG

After

IMG_4318.JPG

I also tried this on graphics that were turning brown from grime around the tank and the eraser worked on that too.

I searched and found a few mentions of magic erasers but not very much discussion on it so I’m hoping this will help a few of us.

• Like 9

I don’t think I’ve seen bikes that clean in a showroom!?!?!

I just picked it up used from a dealer and they replaced a number of plastics so it’s the best it will ever look again haha

Wow. We use magic erasers for everything, but it never occurred to me to try the plastic. Thanks for posting. BTW simple green is great to clean the engine with :-)

Just be careful around aluminum simple green can be pretty harsh on raw parts but the cleaning power is ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, dyrtmon said:

What's a "magic erasure" ?

It’s kind of like a sponge but it cleans better. Just add water and scrub what’s dirty and it really is kind of like magic it cleans almost any hard surface. Mr clean first made it popular there more is than one offering now.

Edited by SDRick

8 minutes ago, dyrtmon said:

Thanks - never heard of that product and I could sure use it.....So, I should look for Mr Clean Magic Erasure?

You can find them almost anywhere cleaning supplies are sold. I ended up using Home Depot brand because they were convenient.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Clean-Original-Cleaning-Packaging/dp/B001339ZMW

Edited by SDRick

Magic erasers and the like are some sort of melamine or a very, very fine grit of sandpaper.  Of course, using them on plastics just introduces fine scratches in the plastic and makes the area get dirty, quicker/faster as the plastic can now hold and keep more dirt. 

If it were me and I didn't want to keep dealing with using the erasers, I'd just get come thick clear plastic like the LaminX or the same clear film that they use for headlights, cut out a piece and stick it on the wear-area and just replace the decal every now and then when it is bad enough as it would then be no different than just a clear sticker/graphic.  

• Like 1

• NoFiddyPilot changed the title to Mr Clean Magic erasers and your plastics