New to TT - newbie advice?

Hi guys,

Having been a road rider for 20 years I want something I can get my kids involved with.

Bought a ‘97 XR250R and them a Husky Boy. The XR isn’t running at the moment, needs a carb strip & clean as it’s been sat a while. It looks fairly stock so any advice on mods specific for light green laning and maybe some casual mx practice track (I’m aware it’s not an mx bike, but we’ve a good local practice track so it won’t be for racing)

Thanks in advance, looking forward to meeting people on the way

Dave

5 minutes ago, Suzukibyker said:

Hi guys,

Having been a road rider for 20 years I want something I can get my kids involved with.

Bought a ‘97 XR250R and them a Husky Boy

The XR isn’t running at the moment, needs a carb strip & clean as it’s been sat a while.

It looks fairly stock so any advice on mods specific for light green laning and maybe some casual mx practice track (I’m aware it’s not an mx bike, but we’ve a good local practice track so it won’t be for racing)

Dave

Welcome. First piece of advice is check out make/model specific for Honda XR 250. 2nd bit of advice, don't check out town square just yet, get your feet wet first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, drumiv said:

Welcome. First piece of advice is check out make/model specific for Honda XR 250. 2nd bit of advice, don't check out town square just yet, get your feet wet first.

I moved this topic to the XR250 forum. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Suzukibyker said:

Hi guys,

Bought a ‘97 XR250R and them a Husky Boy. The XR isn’t running at the moment, needs a carb strip & clean as it’s been sat a while. It looks fairly stock so any advice on mods specific for light green laning and maybe some casual mx practice track (I’m aware it’s not an mx bike, but we’ve a good local practice track so it won’t be for racing)

Dave

I owned a 1996 XR250R a while back. Loved the bike!
bosch-xr250 (2).jpg

I didn't do anything to that bike but ride the pee out of it! The biggest weakness is the suspension. I didn't know/care back then, but it's pretty ooey gooey for even mild MX. But, still jumped the chit out of the bike and it took it. Me? I'd go ride it and decide. At the very least, be sure the springs are suited to your geared up riding weight and get the sag adjusted. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

I owned a 1996 XR250R a while back. Loved the bike!
bosch-xr250 (2).jpg

I didn't do anything to that bike but ride the pee out of it! The biggest weakness is the suspension. I didn't know/care back then, but it's pretty ooey gooey for even mild MX. But, still jumped the chit out of the bike and it took it. Me? I'd go ride it and decide. At the very least, be sure the springs are suited to your geared up riding weight and get the sag adjusted. 

I didn't know Sorel's were AMA approved.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, drumiv said:

I didn't know Sorel's were AMA approved.

That's about a day after a buddy and I bought the bikes. No boots yet? Can't ride! Oh, hell no! Had to ride! First bike back into the sport after college. I'd have ridden in flip flops if I had nothing else! ;) 

• Helpful 1

Welcome.  While you have the carb open I recommend a 48 pilot.   Even with stock exhaust etc .... I show up a the mx track and folks ask, is it even running - I can't heard it?  Awesome pit - trail bike that everyone wants.  Getting hard to find😫

Edited by TX-SANDMAN
  • Like 1

Wide pegs are a godsend and not too expensive.

Any recommendations in particular, bought a Husky Boy too for my kids that would benefit from this too

Welcome.  While you have the carb open I recommend a 48 pilot.   Even with stock exhaust etc .... I show up a the mx track and folks ask, is it even running - I can't heard it?  Awesome pit - trail bike that everyone wants.  Getting hard to find

Thanks mate,

Any advice on the best place to get? I’m not adverse to eBay but not sure which buyers sell decent quality?!

Had to order an intake manifold as I found it was cracked when I was taking the carb off, so got to wait for that anyway.

I hate pissing around with carbs so I’d rather get it right first time

I personally use IMS brand pegs because I ride in snow and mud and their design resists buildup because crud can fall right through. Many pegs taper in at the bottom which holds ice and mud and keeps it from falling out.

I have been getting my jets fro rockymountainmc or dennisirk.com both have great prices and service.

Edited by TX-SANDMAN
Sp