broberts814

Michigan Harescramble 2019

Howdy,

Just wanted to ask a question.  For those of you whom have participated in a hare-scramble in Michigan, which one would you suggest to do.  I'm committing to doing my first race next year (2019 season).  I'm 31 years of age and just picked up a new to me 2000 YZ250 a month or so ago.  Been riding trails up in Indian River/Wolverine area.  Not one looking to place in the top XX, just wanting to do a race.  Something that's always been on my bucket list and I feel like it'd be a great experience.  I'm looking for one of the races that would be family friendly as well.  Possibly make a weekend out of it, camping etc.  Have a wife and 2 little ones that would enjoy the weekend as well.  That being said, I could also do a solo trip for a race.  Any recommendations are appreciated!    

Check out MCCC, and West Michigan Trail Riders. Michigan Dual Sport Riders are a few I can think of. They may have events and recommendations. There are lots of trails by Harrison, Evart, Cadillac, Lake City, Baldwin, and from there all the way up to Canada. I'm sure many will have events and everything your looking for.

• Like 1

Valley Trail Riders in Bentley would be a good one. It is mostly single track trail. Camping is free.

Mark

To simplify it, Benefit to the Sprint Enduro for a new guy is you're not starting a race in a huge wave of 20 guys then have the massive crowd trying to hit the trail. Sprint Enduro you start individually in 15 second intervals. Also you're not running non stop for 2 hrs like a hare scramble. Sprint Enduro you run "tests" which are usually 2 different courses youll run 1 timed lap at a time. Which will usually be anywhere from 10-20 minutes per lap. Then you get a break. Then run the next lap. Great for a guy that's not physically ready for balls to the wall racing for 2 hrs.

Another benefit is there's no concern with super fast riders like the Pros and A class running up the back of you like being lapped in a hare scramble. 

also no worry about running out of gas or having to pit for gas because you have a small tank like a hare scramble cuz you're gonna be in the pits every 20 minutes anyways

Edited by 95silverstallion
  • Like 1

i am new on this forum. 34 yr old grew up on dirt bikes and wanted to get back into it. i just bought a yz 450f its been a few years since i rode but i am looking to getting into some hare scrambles as well. my uncle was just telling me about those sprint enduros and those sound like a blast as well. i did an enduro about 10 years ago in south western Michigan and it was awesome. 

looked up online and it looks as tho in 2018 they had about 2-3 races a month all over the state starting in april. have not seen a 2019 schedule yet

i'm interested in doing some racing next year as well.  It's been about 15 years since I raced anything competitive but my boys are starting to ride now so i'm looking for family events that the whole family can do.

well, hopefully i'll be hitting a few events in the spring.  I have a 7x16 enclosed that I hope to be able to camp out of at the track to save $$$ on race weekends.

Ya that will work good. I was looking into the endurosprints also but I didnt see any kind of schedule for either harescrambles or the sprints yet. 

I'm just east of Flint. I wanna try a hare scramble. I need to get in  a rhythm and the stopping between tests in the sprints kind of screws me up.

Edited by 95silverstallion

I'm open to whatever.  I just want to get out and ride.  

I'd like to be able to get my boys and wife riding with me at some point in the "family enduro series", but I want to try it on my own first.

I ran some local MX as a teen and then raced a national Snowcross series 15+ years ago.

I have two bikes I can run and i'm sure if I want to ride the big bike or the "wife's bike" :) to start. 

I'm about a half hour west of Flint.

We need to keep each other updated if any of us are going to do something like this next season. I'd love to try it and I'm sure my boy would as well. It would be pretty cool to get a group of first timers out there together. 

• Like 1