Jump to content

YZ250 Winter “Woods” Build Thread

Recommended Posts

So I have been wanting to make my YZ250 more like my “dream bike” but have not had much time to. So this winter I have taken upon myself to dump some money into it. This thread won’t be updated everyday or week (this isn’t a youtube mxa build lol). But expect updates here and there though...

 

So let’s begin.

 

Already ordered some new parts because the current ones on my bike are whooped with unknown hours.

 

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

 

- Primary Drive X-Ring

- Renthal Front/Rear Sprockets (13/50)

- New OEM Drain Bolt (old one head was rounding off from PO)

- Twin Air Filter

- Pro-X Countershaft Seal Kit (bike has a oil leak currently)

 

What my plans are with this build is make the bike more of a GNCC/Harescramble type bike as next year I do want to get into racing some.

 

What the bike looks like now:

IMG_1244.JPG

 

What I “want” it to look like after this build (a mix of the two bikes):

IMG_1323.JPG

IMG_1324.JPG

 

The list of parts I plan on adding (some things will change im sure):

IMG_1325.JPG

 

If you guys want share pics of your woods built yz250s so I can get some more inspiration for add-ons or tell me what different things I could change.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You get 13T on purpose? Just curious.  Should be able to crawl with that gearing 

Current gearing is 15/49. Weird gearing. 13/50 seemed like solid woods gearing for everywhere from faster flowy stuff to single track.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RidingWithStyle said:


Current gearing is 15/49. Weird gearing. 13/50 seemed like solid woods gearing for everywhere from faster flowy stuff to single track.

15 really? Must not be a case saver 14 is stock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most if not all of that stuff is bling parts that won't help performance one bit.

If you really plan on racing, consider investing in the suspension instead.

Edited by mlatour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hans Schmid said:

2014-09-08%2016.01.51_zpsydpsjjkl.jpg

20140309_180803_zpsipmhvafg.jpg

Now thats a woods bike👍 very nice much better than those Kant Take Much bikes 😂😂 kidding ofcourse.  Got some goodies on there seems like a crazy long rear fender.  Bottom pic is diff pipe gnarly? Or platinum 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Most if not all of that stuff is bling parts that won't help performance one bit.
If you really plan on racing, consider investing in the suspension instead.

Had that done 1st thing. Its had a solid 500 into suspension work done. PO weighed what I do so springs and all were already there.
Now thats a woods bike very nice much better than those Kant Take Much bikes kidding ofcourse.  Got some goodies on there seems like a crazy long rear fender.  Bottom pic is diff pipe gnarly? Or platinum 2

I like that silencer. Wonder what it is? Bills Carbon?
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18" rear wheel might be a consideration

cushier sidewall, better rim protection, better choice of off-road specific tires

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Now thats a woods bike👍 very nice much better than those Kant Take Much bikes 😂😂 kidding ofcourse.  Got some goodies on there seems like a crazy long rear fender.  Bottom pic is diff pipe gnarly? Or platinum 2

I had a Gnarly and hated it... With the motor work done the stock pipe was much better.. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, RidingWithStyle said:


Had that done 1st thing. Its had a solid 500 into suspension work done. PO weighed what I do so springs and all were already there.
I like that silencer. Wonder what it is? Bills Carbon?

Leo Vance 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

I had a Gnarly and hated it... With the motor work done the stock pipe was much better.. 

Ya ik whatya mean gnarly sucks. Tryd one once all i do is moto no rev had to short shift. Ive got factory fatty on one i got now with my mods works good.  3 out of 4 holeshots on 4th gear start against feild of 450s month back. Shes running strong.  Ive normally used stock pipe works very good also 👍

Edited by Motox367

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ya ik whatya mean gnarly sucks. Tryd one once all i do is moto no rev had to short shift. Ive got factory fatty on one i got now with my mods works good.  3 out of 4 holeshots on 4th gear start against feild of 450s month back. Shes running strong.  Ive normally used stock pipe works very good also

I seem to like the gnarly power as im not balls to the wall type of rider. I ride a gear high most of time and lug up stuff. Slower stuff i am really good at. Now with this 13/50 gearing idk how it will make it act?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ya ik whatya mean gnarly sucks. Tryd one once all i do is moto no rev had to short shift. Ive got factory fatty on one i got now with my mods works good.  3 out of 4 holeshots on 4th gear start against feild of 450s month back. Shes running strong.  Ive normally used stock pipe works very good also

Off-topic sorry. Motox367- Do you slip or dump on your fourth gear starts?
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RidingWithStyle said:


I seem to like the gnarly power as im not balls to the wall type of rider. I ride a gear high most of time and lug up stuff. Slower stuff i am really good at. Now with this 13/50 gearing idk how it will make it act?

Probably be pretty gnarly down low to half throttle.  Perfect for what you do sounds like 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kinger317 said:


Off-topic sorry. Motox367- Do you slip or dump on your fourth gear starts?

That track was concrete start so no dumping in any gear.  Flat and wasn't deep so 250 has a chance . 4th gear by end of start but think you knew what i ment 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run 13/50 on my 08'250 and 250x.most of my riding is tight single track but when I do hit the harescramble season I like 14/50 with the stock pipe on the x but prefer the gnarly for the woods.the 08 has a p.c.works which seems to be a really good pipe.have a lot of time and money into suspension,learn how to service your own suspension and you'll save a ton of money and gain a wealth of knowledge,after that learn how to valve it yourself,that's my next adventure. I'm sick of paying people to do stuff I'm capable of. Everything else I do myself.the 08 is my family ride nowadays 20180808_183719.jpegResized_20180408_075955.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, mudmixer said:

I run 13/50 on my 08'250 and 250x.most of my riding is tight single track but when I do hit the harescramble season I like 14/50 with the stock pipe on the x but prefer the gnarly for the woods.the 08 has a p.c.works which seems to be a really good pipe.have a lot of time and money into suspension,learn how to service your own suspension and you'll save a ton of money and gain a wealth of knowledge,after that learn how to valve it yourself,that's my next adventure. I'm sick of paying people to do stuff I'm capable of. Everything else I do myself.the 08 is my family ride nowadays 20180808_183719.jpegResized_20180408_075955.jpeg

Ya works is great pipe like the factory fatty is alot of maintenance to keep clean and rust free but performance for mx is worth it to me. I use to use works on my kx's . Like how they blue 

Screenshot_20180828-235232.png

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Most if not all of that stuff is bling parts that won't help performance one bit.
If you really plan on racing, consider investing in the suspension instead.


mlatour said what I was thinking

we all want to be proud of our bikes, but maybe redirect some funds to suspension and more linear power delivery eg power valve, flywheel, squish, jetting, etc

thanks for sharing though...look forward to watching

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×