how fix crappy ktm wiring?

As much as I l like my 500 exc '17 I hate its electrical connectors and wires.
Few month ago speed sensor cable connector failed, now headlamp stopped to work,
when I am turning handlebar it's on and off, mostly off. It's autumn and I need lights dam it.

When lamp is off blue high beam indicator is on (but not actual lamp), when I  turn handlebar or squeeze main wire harness

high beam indicator is off and main in lamp turns on. How to fix this? Whole wires set is very, very expensive.

BTW who uses zip ties for electrical wires which are moving??? nonsense, and they were very tied.

Wires on this new KTM bikes are a joke, thin like for kids toys.

21 minutes ago, m_renken said:

My friend used a tester to find the break, added an extra inch or 2 and then tapped it back up. We have done this twice for the same headlight issue. The second time seems to have worked.

but looks to me wire is broken somewhere in the main harness, hard to test it.

but looks to me wire is broken somewhere in the main harness, hard to test it.
It is probably a warn wire in the main bundle where it curvs around the frame. Turning left and right slightly pinches and stretches the taped bundle running back down the frame on the right side. Hours with a meter to find the break. He cut the sleeve way back and used electrical tape to protect it when done.

8 hours ago, StevetheSnake said:

Hum what have you done to the bike. Higher bars or crashes?

I used it according to intended purpose for which was build.

Don't use bars risers and I crash a lot as all enduro riders do.

If you ride easy trails only in grandma pace you probably won't have problems :)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, motf said:

I used it according to intended purpose for which was build.

Don't use bars risers and I crash a lot as all enduro riders do.

If you ride easy trails only in grandma pace you probably won't have problems ?

Crash less ride more. I guess I only know grandmas. Lots and lots of grandmas out our way in the hard core areas in So. Cal. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, motf said:

ok, I'm gonna strip this crappy KTM wiring and try to find the issues then replace with proper wire,

it's a shame so good bike with Chinese toy wiring harness....

and everything just to save few grams....

Yeah its a rats nest, and really you have to prep , address and closely watch for reliability issue development , Many people the first thing they do, is close down the steering stops, which the wiring isn't going to like for long. Even the clutch cable can bind and be cut on the regulator.

You've heard of the Itallion princess, the Austrians have royalty too , might even have some inbreeding involved.

I tell ya a story,  I run a voltmeter to keep track of the charging system, I normally run around 14.3v. Last week I noticed that I was bouncing from 13.5v to 14v. giving me the hee bee geebies as to what the heck is going on. I have 40,000 miles on the bike, is the stator going, is it a connection, the regulator?  all these things going through the mind. So Friday night I check the battery connection and that was good, have to pull the tank to check stator wiring, but didn't feel like going that far. So today, Im bouncing from 13.2 volt to 14 volt, and decide to head for the house, for some more troubleshooting.

I put a meter across the battery while running and had a solid 14.2 volts, sso now Im thinking connection to the voltmeter(I run it off the keyed 12 volt switch. Once I got in there I found this

Weed seed in my keyed switch connector,  after fixing that a solid 14.3 volt and the voltmeter

Clkt0jF.jpg

so you figure another few months enough voltage contamination, may have been lost for the keyed switch to lose enough voltage , for the motor to begin cutting out.

Edited by Spud786

I tell ya a story,  I run a voltmeter to keep track of the charging system, I normally run around 14.3v. Last week I noticed that I was bouncing from 13.5v to 14v. giving me the hee bee geebies as to what the heck is going on. I have 40,000 miles on the bike, is the stator going, is it a connection, the regulator?  all these things going through the mind. So Friday night I check the battery connection and that was good, have to pull the tank to check stator wiring, but didn't feel like going that far. So today, Im bouncing from 13.2 volt to 14 volt, and decide to head for the house, for some more troubleshooting.
I put a meter across the battery while running and had a solid 14.2 volts, sso now Im thinking connection to the voltmeter(I run it off the keyed 12 volt switch. Once I got in there I found this
Weed seed in my keyed switch connector,  after fixing that a solid 14.3 volt and the voltmeter

Clkt0jF.jpg&key=61dc7bd1da1c55299732585c2be4221e4d868d027536d0ffb50bdd71b0ad7bca

so you figure another few months enough voltage contamination, may have been lost for the keyed switch to lose enough voltage , for the motor to begin cutting out.

“Weed seed” lol
  • Like 1